Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Now that's fermentation baby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
stevea1210
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Now that's fermentation baby

I brewed my second batch yesterday, Brewers best Calif imperial pale ale. I expected a healthy fermentation because of all the fermentables in it. I aerated the hell out of the wort, rehydrated the yeast, and let it go.

At three hours post pitch, I could already see krausen starting to form. At 6 hours I had a good 1/4 inch of krausen.

I got up this morning, and checked the brew closet. My airlock was filled with Krausen, and it was leaking all over the place. This was only 15 hours after pitch! I hastily sanitized a new stopper, and some hose, and made a quick blow off tube. The sounds of the gurgles made me smile all day.

I don't have a dedicated full size blow off tube, but my next order is going to include one for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

That's fast! Don't ya just love fermentation? I had a similar experience yesterday with an AG ordinary bitter I brewed and used WLP023 with a good sized starter. I had bubbles in my blow-off tube in 1.5 hours! That's a record for me.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Pitching on yeast cakes or large starters can get you these results just about every time. Its kinds nice seeing the blurp blurp blurp of fermentaion only hours after brewing

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply