Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Not that dark is bad or anything...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
half_whit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 88

ohcrap- I steep my specialty grains, gradually raising the temperature to just under 170. I turn off the burner, stir in my extract, and then turn the burner back on. As I bring the wort to a boil, I start my hop schedule.

Planning: Heady Topper Clone,
Primary: Nutella Stout
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I don't like to go above 160-165F for steeping temps. I try to stay under where the tannins get leached out of the grain hulls. so they say anyway.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_whit
ohcrap- I steep my specialty grains, gradually raising the temperature to just under 170. I turn off the burner, stir in my extract, and then turn the burner back on. As I bring the wort to a boil, I start my hop schedule.
Got it. You're adding your extract at the beginning of the boil basically. Flame out usually refers to the end of the boil.

Follow what unionrdr said above (adding extract at end of boil, after all hop additions) and it should help make lighter beer.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Leaping Goats Coffee Brown Ale (v1 & v2), Anniversary Barleywine, High Ground Gose, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Dos Caldera Porter (plain & whiskey versions), Evolution of Funk (Vol. 1)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison mini-solera), BRB Melomel, Red River (Flanders) Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser

Old 02-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
half_whit
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I don't like to go above 160-165F for steeping temps. I try to stay under where the tannins get leached out of the grain hulls. so they say anyway.
I used to be terrified of getting too close to 170. The guy that owns the brewshop chain around here kinda calmed me down about it. He said yeah, don't go over...but if you do, drop the temperature and don't worry about it. It takes a little time for the tannin to become an issue anyways. He actually told me to bring it all the way to 170 but I'm still not completely sold on that idea.

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_whit View Post
I used to be terrified of getting too close to 170. The guy that owns the brewshop chain around here kinda calmed me down about it. He said yeah, don't go over...but if you do, drop the temperature and don't worry about it. It takes a little time for the tannin to become an issue anyways. He actually told me to bring it all the way to 170 but I'm still not completely sold on that idea.
Yeah,I'm hip to the scene. But it still makes the ol' spidey sense tingle,ya know?! As long as you adjust the temp right quick,it shouldn't be a problem. Mashing is kinda like slow mo. Leave it at the wrong temp long enough,you're fooked. But adjust quickly & all seems to go pretty well,ime.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
half_whit
Recipes 

I'm hoping to move to partial mash soon. I'm probably going to be a nervous wreck until I get used to keeping the temperature steady! Any advice there?

Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I'm still working on steady mash temps. I wanna get a couple of beach towels (homer would be perfect!) to wrap around the mash in the BK while it's mashing. I'm thinking of trying my winter huntin coat around it tomorrow & see how ell that works with my floating thermometer in it.

Quick Reply