Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Not bubbling once moved to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
bkov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Not bubbling once moved to secondary?

I recently brewed the NB Belgium #8 kit ( 6 pounds LME, 2 Pounds DME, 2 pounds soft dark belgium sugar, 1 pound corn sugar) which has the belgium abby yeast (wyeast 1762).

-Primary for 10days with blowoff tube around 75-80 degrees(i know high). After 10days it would bubble about once every 2-3minutes, so i transfered to the secondary.
- The secondary i sanitized with bleach and rinsed twice. Since ive transfered it, i havent seen the airlock bubble once. Do i have anything to worry about?

I broke my hydrometer awhile ago and never got a new one so i didnt take any gravity readings at all with this batch, which now i wish i did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

No, you shouldn't worry....No fermentation should occur during secondary...It's for clearing. And if you racked after 10-12 days fermentation was probably over...therefore, no fermentation, no co2 building up which might cause the bubbler to bubble...

But remember that Bubbling, or lack of is not an indicator of anything...

SO GO GET A HYDROMETER!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, you racked it off of the majority of the yeast, so the action is a lot slower now, if it's still going. I wouldn't worry too much about infection, but I'd go ahead and replace the hydrometer so you can determine if it's done. Anything else would be a guess, and I'd much rather know if my beer had fermented out.

Edit: What Revvy said. Gotta love the homebrew forum where a reverend and a theologian are the first to reply to your question.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

all fermentation is supposed to take place in the primary. the secondary fermenter is actually a clearing tank. you should really take a reading before moving to secondary, because if you moved it too early it could stop the fermentation short. that said, after ten days you're probably okay. go buy a hydrometer and take a reading, if the sg is still very high you may want to rock the fermenter to stir up the yeast or repitch, but i doubt that's necessary.

Quick Reply