Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #371
zachary80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
That new rye sounds great, I'll have to try that one next. Smuttynose does an awesome oaked rye ale for Julios Liquors in MA, hope this kit is like that.
I had a fantastic Rye Porter from Bell's brewery that sold me on the idea. I've never had a dark rye beer aged in oak/barrels, but I traditionally love rye (whiskey and beer). Despite not being a huge fan of Boulevard's Rye on Rye or He'Brew R.I.P.A on Rye I think this new NB recipe has promise
Next Batches: Wheat Stout, Quick n Dirty Berliner Weiss, Antithesis Saison du Vin, Split Open and Melt Imperial Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #372
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Coming up on 10 months now . . . . Man I wish I saved them all. This stuff is AMAZING! The bitterness had died down a tad and now the flavors have melded with the malt shining more. I must say this is very tasty, aromatic, and complex. This was the version with the Old Crow bourbon and Madagascar Vanilla beans (2).

Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #373
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have a few bottles that are nearly 3 years old. I had one a couple weeks ago. The bourbon and oak flavors are pronounced, but the beer is smooth. Unfortunately some of the beer characteristics are gone. Still enjoyable, certainly still good.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #374
iluv2brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've made this beer several times. The last time I made it I soaked the chips in very good sipping rum to make a rum barrel porter. Took the blue ribbon with it at my local club.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #375
jmadway
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just kegged my porter, set up on a nitro tap. Just tried it and it doesn't seem quite ready (too boozy). Planning on taking it off the tap and aging it some more. Obviously, at this point I would keep at its current fridge temp. Just wondering about aging it cold. Any disadvantages to this? Would like to age at least another couple of months.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #376
pjilsner
Recipes 

Hello all!

I brewed this baby on the first of November (2012).
Transferred to secondary after 3 weeks, added bourbon/oak to secondary in two parts one week apart from the other, and it's been sitting pretty in my closet since.

I left it in my closet over winter break with the heater off, so the beer dropped down to 54 and (presumably) stayed there for about a month until I came back home. I'm not worried about the beer going bad, as it isn't sitting on it's original yeast cake and the fermentation should have been done weeks ago. I'm curious though whether I should do anything differently when I bottle; add a tiny amount of yeast or more sugar perhaps?

Anyone know if a cold aging period like I unknowingly put my beer through will change or affect the finished product in a noticeable way? My only thoughts from all I've read about aging beers is that it's probably just preserved well. Either way I am more excited for this one than any other batch I've brewed so far. Only 11 months to go!....

By the way, there have been some wonderfully helpful comments and suggestions in this thread. I've become much more comfortable letting my beer sit. A belated thanks to all the helpful members of this forum!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #377
ricksam
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 21

noob here who has just finished my second brew and I have been drooling over this kit ever since I bought the equipment from NB last month. I was curious if anyone has tried to char the oak cubes before soaking them in the bourbon as a way to extract a bit more of a vanilla flavor? Might add a bit of a smokey flavor too...

Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #378
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yum yum yum... Brewed march of 2012. Just now tasting it and im glad i waited. 2 oz. pure bourbon vanilla extract & 20 oz makers mark really make the beer. Cant wait to do version #3

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #379
Mike_G
Recipes 

Bought this kit recently. I'm planning to use Knob Creek Small Batch 9 year old Bourbon. I'm also planning on using some vanilla bean.

Should I soak the vanilla bean with the Bourbon and oak cubes or add it to the secondary?

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #380
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
Bought this kit recently. I'm planning to use Knob Creek Small Batch 9 year old Bourbon. I'm also planning on using some vanilla bean.

Should I soak the vanilla bean with the Bourbon and oak cubes or add it to the secondary?
I used Knob Creek and had great results. Wish I had used vanilla. Seems like soaking them with the bourbon along with the oak would be a good idea to me.

Quick Reply