The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #361
epimortum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just finished mine a couple weeks ago (brewed in late 2010, bottled in Early 2011) it WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

Im Himmel gibt’s kein Bier, Drum trinken wir es hier.
Add yourself to the Home Brewers Map Here is the associated HBT Forum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #362
jhuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab

It really mellows with time. I think if your keg it and drink it fast 24-48 hours might stop the oak harshness. I also gave up on Makers Mark and switched to Elijah Craig or Four Roses.

I soak the oak for a week, let it sit in the beer for a month, then store it for 4-6 months.
I was wondering why you gave up on Makers Mark? This is what I used and I can't taste any bourbon.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #363
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Does anyone who has brewed this have a strong recommendation for what yeast to use? I know NB has Scottish Ale as their Wyeast default on the kit. I bought the kit without the yeast. My LHBS doesn't have Scottish in right now.
Looking at other Porter kits (I have yet to brew a Porter in my young homebrewing career), I see everything from London ESB to American Ale to Ringwood Ale.
I imagine there are a handful of different strains that are good for Bourbon Barrel Porter and maybe I'll just use US-05. But wanted to check to see if anyone felt very strongly about a particular yeast for this.
If it matters, I am going to use a Rye instead of Bourbon for mine.
My thanks in advance!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #364
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A picture for a thousand words.

image-424257522.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #365
WIBrewer83
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed the extract version of the Bourbon Barrel Porter using Jim Beam back in December of 2011. I tried the first bottle about 2 months later and it was very strong tasting...almost overpowering with bourbon. I let it age longer and it got so much better! I just had a bottle the other night (7 months after brewing) and it was amazing! Very smooth! Next time I want to add vanilla bean.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #366
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBrewer83
I brewed the extract version of the Bourbon Barrel Porter using Jim Beam back in December of 2011. I tried the first bottle about 2 months later and it was very strong tasting...almost overpowering with bourbon. I let it age longer and it got so much better! I just had a bottle the other night (7 months after brewing) and it was amazing! Very smooth! Next time I want to add vanilla bean.
How much Beam did you use?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #367
WIBrewer83
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

16oz of Beam...little over half a 750ml bottle

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #368
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bourbon family that also includes a rye variation?

I just saw that Northern Brewer released a Rye version and I thought they would fantastic to try brewing side-by-side. Some varieties I can think of would be Jim Beam Rye and maybe the 7 year, Bulleit reg and Rye, Knob Creek reg and Rye. Unfortunately the rye Wild Turkey isn't available around here.

Also I was wondering whether people are varying the quantity by the proof of the whiskey? I would think a lower volume of higher-proof whiskey would be ideal since you would be adding less water.

Regular recipe - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...rrelPorter.pdf
Rye recipe - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...lRyePorter.pdf

Next Batches: Smoke Bomb Imperial Smoked Chipotle Porter, Highrise IPA, Wheat Stout, Lime Apfelwein

Old 10-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #369
doublebogey10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary80
Does anyone have a suggestion for a bourbon family that also includes a rye variation?

I just saw that Northern Brewer released a Rye version and I thought they would fantastic to try brewing side-by-side. Some varieties I can think of would be Jim Beam Rye and maybe the 7 year, Bulleit reg and Rye, Knob Creek reg and Rye. Unfortunately the rye Wild Turkey isn't available around here.

Also I was wondering whether people are varying the quantity by the proof of the whiskey? I would think a lower volume of higher-proof whiskey would be ideal since you would be adding less water.

Regular recipe - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...rrelPorter.pdf
Rye recipe - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...lRyePorter.pdf
I just brewed BBP on Sunday. I am planning on using Bulleit.
I was initially planning on using a Rye I like called Templeton Rye but its kinda pricey due to supply/demand.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #370
MDRex
Recipes 

That new rye sounds great, I'll have to try that one next. Smuttynose does an awesome oaked rye ale for Julios Liquors in MA, hope this kit is like that.

Quick Reply