Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #351
BronxFireGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just kegged this on sunday, hooked up to the CO2 to start carbing, and took a sample today just to see where its at. HOLY OAK. I think a week on oak for the bourbon, and then a week on oak for the beer was way too long. I'm sure it'll mellow, but I think for next time I may just let the bourbon soak on the oak chips for the recommended 24-48 hours.

And a question for those who have done it, I am force carbing and then plan to bottle from the keg. The keg is in the fridge right now. If I bottle cold and then leave them to age at room temperature, will I have any ill effects on the beer? I don't think it would, but I figured I'd ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #352
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxFireGuy View Post
So I just kegged this on sunday, hooked up to the CO2 to start carbing, and took a sample today just to see where its at. HOLY OAK. I think a week on oak for the bourbon, and then a week on oak for the beer was way too long. I'm sure it'll mellow, but I think for next time I may just let the bourbon soak on the oak chips for the recommended 24-48 hours.

It really mellows with time. I think if your keg it and drink it fast 24-48 hours might stop the oak harshness. I also gave up on Makers Mark and switched to Elijah Craig or Four Roses.

I soak the oak for a week, let it sit in the beer for a month, then store it for 4-6 months.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #353
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No ill effects for the beer. Subjective taste tests have shown that bottles stored at room temperature are smoother and more complex than the same batch stored cold. This is my experience as well after doing some searching of several forums beforehand.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #354
MDRex
Recipes 

My beer aged on the oak for about 2 months. I brewed it about a year ago and it's still amazing. Actually it's gotten beer as it has mellowed. It was super oaky for quite a while.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #355
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My full boil batch was very oak forward for the first 3-4 weeks but that robust flavor mellowed out perfectly. I had the oak cubes in the bourbon for over a week. I did do vanilla beans so those take the front seat now. It's a an awesome beer and style that is not my cup of tea but fact that I brewed it makes it all the better to quaff.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #356
MDRex
Recipes 

I see a lot of people doing vanilla. Has anyone tried coffee in this?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #357
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bottled my second batch a few weeks ago. . Soaked bourbon, oak, & vanilla for 1 month. Added it to secondary for 1 month. Will wait till Dec to try it (8 months bottle condition). So excited. Hope i can wait that long. Might do a bourbon imperial stout next time and bump to 9+ abv

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #358
BronxFireGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So now having been kegged a couple weeks give or take, I bottled a few and brought them on a fishing trip with me. Upon finishing the first bottle, I immediately regret not bringing another batch of bottles up, for the 2 I had went waaaayyyyy too quickly. Already ordered the kit again, but this time I went with the all grain, im hoping with the full boil itll be even better. And now it's got my mind thinking of a scottish rum oaked ale. I cant wait till I can age some of this!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #359
Philip_T
Recipes 

Mine has been in the bottle for ~9 months now (brewed 10 months ago) and I think it is finally coming around. I subbed a nice spiced rum for bourbon with my batch and I was beginning to think that it just wasn't going to work. The rum imparted such a huge 'bite' on the earlier tastings I tried, that it just wasn't that pleasant to drink. FF to last night....the bite is gone and the flavors have finally started to mellow. It actually tasted fantastic! I'd still like to try this kit with bourbon, but glad the rum finally worked. Glad I was patient with this batch and still have a case left that I'm going to try and age further til this fall/winter.

Definitely set aside a case if you guys can for this one and forget about that case for at least 10 months, you won't regret it at all! It's funny, there are a hundred posts in this thread saying 'just let it age for a year', yet I couldn't help myself to random samplings over the last 10 months....now I wish I had the full 2 cases still. Next time I'm wrapping both cases in gorilla tape and hiding them over at the in-laws for a year.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #360
MDRex
Recipes 

I think it is well worth doing samples over time. It helps you learn how the beer ages and changes over time. That's why I went so long on the oak, so that I could see it's effect and how it changes as it ages over a long time.

Quick Reply