Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #341
smurfwar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

So this and a belgian strong golden will be my fist bottled beer. I started a year ago and have always kegged. I know its "sdrawkcab ssa" from the norm.

What volumes of co2 did everyone do and what worked/didn't work?

Style calls for 1.5 to 2.3
I was thinking about 2.1 which is about 3.3 oz of priming sugar. That gives about 21psi at 68f and 7.9psi at 40f which is what i ran when i kegged my last batch.
Please dont yell about how wrong all this info is.
Planing on conditioning until Xmas in long neck 12oz. Brown bottles

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #342
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update - When I returned home on Friday, there was a lot of bubbles in the air lock. It wasn't as active as I have seen with previous brews, but I was happy. Its been bubbling away at this pace since Friday. Seems to be a little slower this morning, maybe bubbling every 15-20 seconds as opposed to every 2 seconds. I am going to pry the top open tonight to take a look at the krausen. I am guessing its there since there's bubbles.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #343
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks BiggieB400...Do you always let your wort sit to stabilize the temp before pitching? I have never heard of this, but it makes sense. Do you shake the wort up again to aerate it before pitching?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #344
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For those that added vanilla beans to the bourbon / oak chips, do you add the beans to the secondary as well? I was just wondering if I should take them out.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #345
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I used 5 oz of corn sugar and the carb is perfect for me. Wouldn't want any more or any less.

I put my two vanilla beans right into secondary with the bourbon mixture.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #346
djbradle
Recipes 

Always aerate the wort . . . Very well too. If you don't use pure O2 or an aeration stone for aquariums and do this by hand I suggest shaking the snot out of it before pitching the yeast for at least 2 minutes until it looks like a freshly poured nitro Guinness. . . . With loooots of foam. This will give you the best chance of at most 8ppm of O2.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #347
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfwar
What volumes of co2 did everyone do and what worked/didn't work?

Style calls for 1.5 to 2.3
I was thinking about 2.1 which is about 3.3 oz of priming sugar. That gives about 21psi at 68f and 7.9psi at 40f which is what i ran when i kegged my last batch.
Please dont yell about how wrong all this info is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle
I used 5 oz of corn sugar and the carb is perfect for me. Wouldn't want any more or any less.
Planing on conditioning until Xmas in long neck 12oz. Brown bottles
That would be a 2.7 volume of co2? What temp are you bottling? Seems a but high for the style according to the calculators.
At 70*F that would be 1 1/9 cup. And 32 psi with 14.4 at 40*F. Just seems high. But what do i know?

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #348
djbradle
Recipes 

Ya I'm doing bottles so I have no clue if the volume of CO2 is the same between kegging and bottling. I assume so. In any case the head and carbonation on these 22 oz. bombers after after I bottled them on Feb.4th is perfect imho. This pic is from around Feb. 20th as a 12 oz test bottle. These were conditioned at around 70*F for three weeks before my first 22oz. was cracked. The test bottle was a 12 oz that had 4 inches of headspace(last bottle). The carb/head is the same with the 22 oz bombers. They're just a tad more carbed and have another 1/2" of head. These really are about the same carbonation level as several other porters I've had in the recent past . . .BBC drayman's porter, Wormtown pro-am porter, and Breckinridge vanilla porter.

001.jpg  

Old 03-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #349
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Turned out great! I used a 1L yeast starter following NB's directions the night before. I brewed on 1/14. OG=1.066. Transfered to secondary on 1/31. Gravity was 1.018. That same day I added 16oz makers mark to the oak cubes and let them soak until 2/15 when I dumped them in the secondary (with the bourbon). Bottled on 3/3. Had my first one last night (3/16) and it was great. Bourbon and oak are strong, but pleasant and not overwhelming. Going to age some, but also going to serve some today for St. Patrick's Day.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #350
BronxFireGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this on 3/29. O.G. was right on at 1.065 and just took a hydro reading today and its at 1.020. I had planned on letting the oak chips sit in MM for between 24-48 hours as per the directions, then add it all to secondary. After reading through this whole thread now, I think I will let it sit in primary another week (just added oak to bourbon today) and then transfer to secondary, with possibly another week without the oak/bourbon by itself in secondary. Very excited for this beer, as I'm a big fan of bourbon in general.

Quick Reply