Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #331
Philip_T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Follow up on my batch from July 2011. I was the one that used the Zaya Rum instead of bourbon. While I had big expectations for this batch, it's just not working for me. I thought that the huge vanilla/caramel notes in the rum would transfer over nicely to a Porter, but that's not the case. The porter base appears to be a great beer, but the rum has added some bite to it that is hard to describe honestly. I can see where a good bourbon (Makers) would be awesome in this beer and that's what I'll be sticking with next time I brew it up.

Until then, the remaining case gets to age another year until next Christmas and we'll see if that helps any.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #332
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I couldn't wait. Brewed another batch this weekend. Told the wife its my Xmass gift. Thats about when I will try the first bottle. Using makers mark instead of knob creek this time.

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #333
martialscientist
Recipes 

I thought about using rum next time I brew this, but maybe not if it doesn't complement the recipe. I used Makers Mark and loved how it came out.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #334
Philip_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martialscientist View Post
I thought about using rum next time I brew this, but maybe not if it doesn't complement the recipe. I used Makers Mark and loved how it came out.
If you have the means, maybe try a split batch....but I can't recommend the rum to anyone after tasting the results. Shame, it sounded like a great pairing.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #335
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martialscientist
Rum doesnt seem like it would pair good imho. I thought about using crown royal but its too mellow to give that taste I enjoyed in the first batch.

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #336
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just started this thread, but figured I would post in here to see if anyone can give me some advice.

I brewed the NB BBP extract kit last night using a yeast starter for the 1st time. I made the 650 ml starter on Wednesday night, and by Thursday morning there was a nice little cake and some activity...I gave it a nice swirl every time I walked by, and decided that I would brew my batch and pitch the yeast that evening. I ended up brewing the batch and pitching the entire yeast starter @ 78 degrees around 9pm, so that would have been roughly 36 hours after making it.

OG was 1.065 before I pitched, and I immediately moved the fermenting bucket to my spot. I expected to wake up this morning to the beer foaming thru my airlock...But to my shock there was no activity at all. Am I worried about nothing yet? Is 12 hours too soon to expect activity? I was under the impression that the starter should start bubbling much sooner. I will be super bummed if there is an issue w/ this one because I have been building up the confidence to make this baby for a long time.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #337
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

White 6.5 gallon bucket? First question is: Was it on tightly and is there possible an air leak around the bung? What is the temp where your bucket is at?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #338
barkscruff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the temp ready 68 when I left for work this morning, I expect it to drop to around 62-64...Its always possible there's a leak but unlikely.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #339
dlm3
Recipes 

I'm guessing the 10 degree drop didn't do your yeast any favors, and the additional expected drop in temp won't help either. Most likely your yeast are sleeping on the bottom. It sounds like you had good vitality in your starter, so that is good. At this point I'd try swirling your fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension. Do this as vigorously as can can safely without getting beer on your airlock every few hours for a day or two (stop sooner if you start seeing active fermentation (bubbles from airlock with at most one second between bubbles.) As the others suggest, make sure you have a good seal with your lid or stopper and around your airlock. Do you have krausen (foam on top of your beer in the fermenter)?

Up next: Bavarian Dunkle
Thinking about: Belgian Tripel

Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #340
BiggieB400
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use starters for all of my brews and I always see activity start within the first 4-8 hrs. In the future, I'd recommend you let your wort sit for 24 hrs in your fermenter in a cool, dark place before pitching your yeast... It gives the yeast less temp variation, which they seem to prefer.

This is a great kit, especially if you use the Makers!! It was actually my intro to home brewing!!

Quick Reply