Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #261
CompassBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_jimbo View Post
I've got this one bubbling away like crazy right now about 48 hours after brewing. Had a nasty blowoff yesterday even though I had a blowoff hose on it. It was just a 1/4" hose in a punched bung. Went and bought a 1.25" hose to stick straight in the hole of the carboy and haven't had any problems with clogging.

The beer in the carboy is a beautiful color right now. I didn't get nearly the starting gravity I wanted, but I bet it'll still be delicious.

I see most people are saying to let it age for a few weeks, at least, and that it will be ready by about Christmas.

How long should I have it in primary/secondary/bottle-aging? I was thinking 2 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary, and a month bottle aging, but that won't be nearly Christmas, so I'm wondering if maybe I need to do some of those longer....
I just brewed mine yesterday and figured 3 week primary (standard for all of my brews), then a month secondary and bottled till christmas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #262
woodenbuick
Recipes 

I brewed on earlier this year and had one with dinner tonight. It gets better every time i drink one.
Smooths out a bit more every time.
I will make it again.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #263
54BelAir
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked to secondary yesterday. It tasted great before adding the bourbon and oak. I think that this one is going to live up to all of the positive press that it has gotten here.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #264
MDRex
Recipes 

I went 2 months on the oak and I used a more robust bourbon, Jim Beam Black. I was going for more oak and bourbon up front and wanted to be able to let it age for quite a while to see how things blend and mellow. I first tried mine after 6 weeks in the bottle and the oak was super strong, but the beer was very good. I'm not going to try it again until the end of September for a BBQ competition and then drinking everyfew months to see how it ages.

If you want to drink within a few months I would not go nearly as long as I did on the oak.

I also added brett to a gallon and put that in a growler to age for a while.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #265
Philip_T
Recipes 

Nice guys. Hoping to see a lot of new reviews around October/November from all of the recent batches. Mine goes in the bottle this weekend....I took a whiff of it the other night and the Zaya Rum really added the vanilla/caramel/spice texture that I was looking for. Can't wait to try one of these.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #266
BBFCreatureFM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked to secondary yesterday onto 16 oz of Maker's with double (4oz) of toasted chips that have been marinating together for 3 weeks. The porter itself was great, but just a slight bit thinner than what I'd expected. I'm hoping the bourbon doesn't overwhelm, but I've no doubt that whatever it is I've made, it will be tasty. With all the batches going in this thread, I too will be looking for late Fall/early Winter reviews. I like the idea of rum as well. There are some great small-batch rums that we've got access to down here in S. Fla.

-----------------------------------
Primary 1: Belgian Blonde
Primary 2: Apricot Belgian Blonde
Primary 3: Ed Wort's Aphelwein

Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #267
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My batch went into secondary today, primarily because I needed my 6 gallon Better Bottle for a batch of Cream Ale I brewed up this morning! I will put the oak chips and bourbon in the wort on Labor Day. My wife and I are then taking a two-week trip on our Honda Gold Wing to see oldest daughter [pregnant with first child] in Dallas, TX and youngest daughter [Ph.D. student at Tulane University] in New Orleans, LA. We plan to return home on or about 20 September, which will give the Porter four weeks in secondary.

Our first grandbaby will be born in early December in Dallas. Wife plans to drive down before Christmas, so she will take the Porter in the car. I'll fly down on Christmas Day with daughters #2 and #3. I sure do hope the Porter is a hit!

glenn514

Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #268
craig_reed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Weather has cooperated, finished my deck over the weekend, so I will be brewing this one up tonight!

How long are you leaving it in the primary befor emoving to oak and bourbon? I was thinking 2 weeks, then 4 weeks on the oak chips, then 2 months or so in the bottle before cracking -

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #269
Philip_T
Recipes 

I think most people are fermenting right around 6 weeks between primary and secondary. I did 2 weeks in the primary, then 2 weeks without oak in the secondary, then 2 weeks with oak in the secondary. Planning on at least 2 months in the bottle, but I know that I'll cave and have to open one after a couple weeks just to gauge it and just how much time improves it.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #270
bingc
Recipes 

Mine has been in the primary for 2 days now with no signs of fermentation :\.
I used Wyeast, it seemed to bloat well in the bag. I keep reading that this recipe has been fermenting like crazy within 24 hours. What did i do wrong?

Quick Reply