Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NorthernBrewer Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #251
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

This works (or any scaled version), but I prefer to remember the 1-10 rule, 1 gram of DME per 10 ml of water, so 100 grams for a 1 liter starter etc. You have to have a scale for that method though

forumrunner_20110818_200028.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #252
54BelAir
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_reed
What did you guys do for a starter for this beer?

I was just thinking the standard 1/2 cup DME into 4 cups water boil, bring to 70 degrees and pitch the wyeast packet into it.
That's what I did, and I had no problems as all getting fermentation to start when I pitched. Some may suggest a bigger starter.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #253
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
This works (or any scaled version), but I prefer to remember the 1-10 rule, 1 gram of DME per 10 ml of water, so 100 grams for a 1 liter starter etc. You have to have a scale for that method though
It probably doesn't matter for just a 24hr starter, but why the airlock? I've always thought that the whole purpose of a starter is to increase cell numbers and the best way to do that is to oxygenate the yeast culture. You're not trying to cause fermentation, just growth.

I'd say just cover loosely with foil and give it a swirl every now and then to oxygenate.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #254
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocu

It probably doesn't matter for just a 24hr starter, but why the airlock? I've always thought that the whole purpose of a starter is to increase cell numbers and the best way to do that is to oxygenate the yeast culture. You're not trying to cause fermentation, just growth.

I'd say just cover loosely with foil and give it a swirl every now and then to oxygenate.
Oh missed the airlock part... yeah you don't need to do that I use a foam stopper

Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #255
Philip_T
Recipes 

I typically use 4.5 ounces of DME and 6 cups of water in the boil. After evaporation, the whole batch fits nicely in my 1 liter flask. I've read that the ratio you want is something like 6 ounces for every 8 cups, or 3 ounces for every 4 cups.

I also like to let mine ferment for a couple days, then put it in the fridge for 24 hours for the yeast to fall out, then pour off (decant) the excess wort leaving just enough to swirl into the yeast cake before warming it back up to room temp and pitching.

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #256
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_T
I typically use 4.5 ounces of DME and 6 cups of water in the boil. After evaporation, the whole batch fits nicely in my 1 liter flask.
48 ounces of water plus DME fits in your 1 liter flask?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #257
Philip_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
48 ounces of water plus DME fits in your 1 liter flask?
Well, I'm pretty sure that's the ratio I used last time. And I know my 1 liter flask actually holds more than 1 liter. And taking into account evaporation......but let me double check my notes when I get home.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #258
Puckhead
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I made this last October an split the batch half MM half Spiced Rum both turned out great. I'm now making a batch of each I the next couple weeks.. Def dial down the priming sugar. At 2.5 oz in 3 gallons it poured a very big head. Excellent beer though....

Old 08-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #259
Philip_T
Recipes 

I'm curious as to how you liked the spiced rum batch Puckhead, as that is basically what I used for mine, but it won't be ready until November.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #260
uncle_jimbo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I've got this one bubbling away like crazy right now about 48 hours after brewing. Had a nasty blowoff yesterday even though I had a blowoff hose on it. It was just a 1/4" hose in a punched bung. Went and bought a 1.25" hose to stick straight in the hole of the carboy and haven't had any problems with clogging.

The beer in the carboy is a beautiful color right now. I didn't get nearly the starting gravity I wanted, but I bet it'll still be delicious.

I see most people are saying to let it age for a few weeks, at least, and that it will be ready by about Christmas.

How long should I have it in primary/secondary/bottle-aging? I was thinking 2 weeks primary, 4 weeks secondary, and a month bottle aging, but that won't be nearly Christmas, so I'm wondering if maybe I need to do some of those longer....

Quick Reply