The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
CEversole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin

Has anyone tried the Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin? I just ordered it, and I'm trying to get some feedback on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Don't know, but the wife saw it in the catalog they sent me and wants me to brew something like it for the "fall". We're in FL, so it's more like an occasional cold front, but any how once you brew it I'd appreciate it if you could repost what you thought of it as I am wary of most spiced brews. Good luck

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
skagit991
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made the AGK last fall, it turned out great! It was a malty amber with the background of the pumpkin pie spice. I plan on brewing this again this fall but I am waiting to add a fresh pumpkin to the mash.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Im a week away from bottling this kit (AG), if i remember ill let you know how it turned out.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Copbrew133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Great, I guess now I'll have to order one as I really dont want to formulate a recipe for this. The last two brews were for her, Nelson Sauvin Saison and an oatmeal raisin brown. Now she's gonna get the pumpkin too. Oh well maybe it'll keep things in check with her when I start building the single tier this week. Cheers guys.

Thirsty Mutt Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-b...-along-366645/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bodi...-cheap-299101/

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
lactardjosh
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've got the extract recipe kit in my primary now, brewed on Labor Day. I did the straight recipe with no additions since it's the first time trying this one. I missed my OG by quite a bit, but I don't a full boil, so that's to be expected. I plan to keep this in primary for at least another week. I'll rack to secondary so I can free up my primary again. Bottling is planned for the 30th, so that'll give it 4 1/2 weeks before Halloween. I'm hoping it's ready then and it should be even better by Thanksgiving.

I also brewed this at the request of SWMBO. In fact, she helped brew, which is just bonus points earned for this hobby.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
DrPhunk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed this awhile ago and bottles it 2 weeks ago (after 3-1/2 wks in Primary). I added 2 cans of some organic pumpkin puree that I baked for about 20 mins. I also used all of the spices that they provided even though I think it only called for a tbsp.

When we tried a bottle the other night it wasn't ready yet, it was pretty flat and really "green". I was hoping it would be ready for my wife's b-day this weekend but it might need longer. I used some Brewers Best conditioning tablets that I had laying around and wanted to use them up but am wishing now that I had just used some priming sugar. Or kegged it...

I will probably brew it again next month with some fresh pumpkin unless we are totally burnt out on the various pumpkin beers by then

Old 09-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
jaw005
Recipes 

did yours look like it was black in the secondary? mine does. and it started out as amber/orange in the primary

Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
bennie1986
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw005
did yours look like it was black in the secondary? mine does. and it started out as amber/orange in the primary
Im almost 3 weeks in primary and mine still looks amber.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
J187
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagit991 View Post
I made the AGK last fall, it turned out great! It was a malty amber with the background of the pumpkin pie spice. I plan on brewing this again this fall but I am waiting to add a fresh pumpkin to the mash.
Did you see my post in the extract section about pie pumpkins? They are out much earlier than carving pumpkins and are probably better suited for cooking/eating.

Quick Reply