Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Northern Bourbon Barrel Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
CanyonBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Northern Bourbon Barrel Porter

I've been brewing for awhile now and this one seemed to ferment a little different.

Used the Danstar Windsor Ale dry yeast. It started bubbling like crazy in less than 8 hours. Strip temp showed the vessel at >80 degrees. It stopped in 12hrs.

Most of my beers have gone on slowly for a few days. Is there anything to be concerned about with the sudden inactivity?

Thanks,

CB

Last edited by CanyonBlue; 03-11-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd be concerned about the high fermentation temps. It might not be noticeable in a porter of this complexity, but definately something to keep in mind for the future. Most of my ales are fermented at 68 degrees with a few exceptions going higher than that. Fermenting above 80F is probably why you were done fermenting in 12 hours. Another question is...have you checked the hydrometer reading? Airlock activity is not a good gauge of fermentation.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #3
CanyonBlue
Recipes 

I've been used to fermenting in cool tempatures this winter, so I didn't check it very close. The ambient temps have been so high the past days that I realize now I probably should have put it in the basement.

Just took the top off. OG was 1.072, now its 1.050. Still see a few bubbles coming up. Put a temp probe in and its still reading 82 degrees.

Moved the whole thing to the basement and re-sealed. Getting a occasional airlock bubble. We'll see.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

that doesn't sound very good. 80 is way too hot and will cause lots of nasty off flavors.

Fermentation has slowed but the gravity is still WAY high. Be careful you don't cool it too much and send all your yeast to sleep before the work is done. You could end up with a very sweet beer.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
that doesn't sound very good. 80 is way too hot and will cause lots of nasty off flavors.

Fermentation has slowed but the gravity is still WAY high. Be careful you don't cool it too much and send all your yeast to sleep before the work is done. You could end up with a very sweet beer.
+1. My advice would be to leave it at 75-80F at this point. Whatever off flavors could have been avoided have probably already formed. Also, as said above, by putting your beer in a cooler enviornment it can trick your yeast into thinking it's time to go to sleep.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply