Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Is this a normal taste...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
MellowToad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this a normal taste...

So far, on every batch (Wheat, Stout, Pilsner) that I've made, I end up with a slightly tart, almost lime-like flavor that can be detected on my lips if I lick them after a drink.

I don't notice it in the beer itself, just on my lips. It's extremely odd. I'm just using the basic yeast that came with the kits (John Bull) and following directions and sanitation to the T. Any ideas as to what it might be, or how to get rid of it?

After first I thought it might be from not being aged long enough, but I've had a Stout sitting now for almost a month and a half and still taste it. These are beers that I've followed the directions on, although I've always used Dextrose instead of white sugar. Can this do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 118 Posts

at first i thought extract twang, but what are you using dextrose for?

you should only use dextrose when priming the beer, never in the recipe itself (unless you're making a belgian or something.)

maybe try a nice extract kit with steeping grains and no sugar. that'll probably do the trick.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It might be a function of the John Bull kits. I've never used one, so I can't say for sure.

I have used kits from Austin Homebrew, MoreBeer, and Seven Bridges, and they all turned out great. Maybe try a new kit and see if the flavor reappears.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #114 Oatmeal Stout, #115 American Amber
Planned: APA, IPA, Nut Brown

Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
MellowToad
Recipes 

The dude at the brew go suggested the dextrose. I'll skip on that next time. Any other possibilities?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

what are you sanitizing with?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What are your lips touching before you drink your brew?

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
JNJC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
you should only use dextrose when priming the beer, never in the recipe itself (unless you're making a belgian or something.)
I am surprised at this. Every beer I've done so far has had dextrose in the recipe. My home brew shop has a recipe sheet listing how to combine their kits with other ingredients to make certain styles of beers and every recipe uses dextrose. I always thought it was the standard brewing sugar ? So what is the alternative ?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 987

The alternative is NO sugar in the brew. In a couple of styles (notably big Belgians where a low FG, dry, thinner body is desirable), it's ok. But for the most part, it thins and dries the beer and is a cheap substitute for malt extract. For a kit that asks for sugar to be added, it improves the beer greatly if malt extract is added instead.

I have only used corn sugar (dextrose) a couple of times, for a bigger beer that needed it to help make it a bit thinner and drier in the end. Sugar ferments fully, leaving no residual sugars behind, so that's why it makes a thinner tasting beer with a lower FG. In large quantities, it can impart a cidery flavor to the beer also.

Take a look at our recipe database. There are some easy extract brews there- and I would guess that none of them include sugar, except to prime them to carbonate.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 AM   #9
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're using a single 3.3 lb, or close to it, can of Liquid Malt Exctract, LME, and doing a 5 gallon batch then you're going to need the dextrose to bring the wort up to a suitable gravity. What your brew shop isn't telling you is that you should use an equal amount of Dried Malt Extract instead of the dextrose. You'll get a fuller flavored and bodied beer that won't have the "cidery" twang. Is the John Bull kit a pre-hopped can with the yeast in the plastic cap?

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
JNJC
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
For a kit that asks for sugar to be added, it improves the beer greatly if malt extract is added instead.
So if I have a kit that says add 1Kg brewing sugar, do I just add 1Kg of Malt Extract instead ? Will this effect the alcohol content ?

Quick Reply