*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Noobie finishes two batches wants to start another

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
1EightT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noobie finishes two batches wants to start another

Hey guys, been reading the forums for a couple weeks while I work through my noob phase in homebrewing. About 8 days ago I bottled my first batch of extract wheat beer. Tried a couple last night and it came out very tasty. I've also got 5 gallons of Apfelwine sitting at the three week mark in the closet, so i'll give it another week or two, then bottle.

Anyhow, given my lack of experience, I need some recommendations from the seasoned brewers here. What should I put in my lonely 5 gallon carboy that I now have sitting empty in my garage? I like wheat beers (Easy Street), dark beers (Guinness), Chimay, etc. Not a hop head by any means. So, any recipes based on that which are going to be the next big hit with friends and family?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well with the season approaching you can't go wrong with a pumpkin ale. I haven't brewed it myself, but I've heard good things about Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale. I'm actually planning on adapting it to a porter this weekend.

Kyle

Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
1EightT
Recipes 

That's actually a fantastic idea. I'm holding thanksgiving at my house this year (for the first time), so it would be nice to have something like this for everyone.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale is a wonderfully quaffable and tasty brew, and is ready quite quickly. Perhaps you'd like to give that a try.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
1EightT
Recipes 

That sounds good as well. I've got two 5 gallon carboys, so I might try both. Now I have a couple noob questions as far as reading and using these recipes.

Quote:
US 5 Gallon - Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.80 gal

4.89 lb Light Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 75.0 %
0.91 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett)
0.28 lb Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 508.0 SRM
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.87 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
----------------------------
So, from the above i'm guessing that I need to bring 6.8 gallons to a boil, then add in my malts and the extract. From there I add the first bunch of hops for 45 minutes, pull them and put in the second batch for 15? Is that correct?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Bob
Recipes 

Yup. Correct on both counts.

The "boil size" is the volume before boiling; you can easily boil off 1.8 gallons in an hour or 90 minutes. Do you do "full boils"?

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 09-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Yup. Correct on both counts.

The "boil size" is the volume before boiling; you can easily boil off 1.8 gallons in an hour or 90 minutes. Do you do "full boils"?
What are you talking about? This is wrong on both accounts!!

If you can do a full 6.8 gallons boil bring this water up to about 150-160. Then steep the grains in the water from a muslin (mesh) bag like a giant tea bag for about 20-30 minutes. What you are doing is extracting flavor and color from the grains. If you boil the grains you will leach tannins and get bitter off flavors and possibly scorch the grains. Some people also throw the grain bag in the turn the burner on and then remove it(the bag of grains) once that water gets to 170. Let the bag drip to get the most out. You don't want to squeeze the bag. You don't want to steep grains higher than 170.
Then you can then add half to a third of your extract and bring it up to a boil. Once you reach a boil start a 60 minute timer. After 15 minutes pass the timer will be at 45 minutes, throw in your 45 minute hop addition and follow any remaining hop additions like that. You DO NOT pull hops out once in. The 45 minute addition is meant to boil for the last 45 minutes of the boil. the 15 minute addition is meant for boil for the last 15 minutes of the boil. With 15-20 minutes left add the rest of your extract. You can add it all at the beginning, but late extract addition helps stay truer to color. Extract boiled a long time tends to make wort darker than it should be. Doesn't effect taste really. After your time goes off. Remove from heat, Chill to temperature within the range of your yeast (will be written on your package) and pitch yeast and shake the crap out of your bucket.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Last edited by IrregularPulse; 09-11-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: going back fixing all my typos from typing fast hoping to save a wasted batch for 1EightT

Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
What are you talking about? This is wrong on both accounts!!

If you can do a full 6.8 gallons boil bring this water up to about 150-160. Then steep the grains in the water from a muslin (mesh) bag like a giant tea bag for about 20-30 minutes. What you are doing is extracting flavor and color from the grains. If you boil the grains you will leach tannins and get bitter off flavors and possibly scorch the grains. Some people also throw the grain bag in the turn the burner on and then remove it(the bag of grains) once that water gets to 170. Let the bag drip to get the most out. You don't want to squeeze the bag. You don't want to steep grains higher than 170.
Then you can then add half to a third of your extract and bring it up to a boil. Once you reach a boil start a 60 minute timer. After 15 minutes pass the timer will be at 45 minutes, throw in your 45 minute hop addition and follow any remaining hop additions like that. You DO NOT pull hops out once in. The 45 minute addition is meant to boil for the last 45 minutes of the boil. the 15 minute addition is meant for boil for the last 15 minutes of the boil. With 15-20 minutes left add the rest of your extract. You can add it all at the beginning, but late extract addition helps stay truer to color. Extract boiled a long time tends to make wort darker than it should be. Doesn't effect taste really. After your time goes off. Remove from heat, Chill to temperature within the range of your yeast (will be written on your package) and pitch yeast and shake the crap out of your bucket.
Do what he says.

perhaps the only thing i would change is instead of a muslin bag to use a large nylon hops bag. Easier to clean and reuse, plus it seems to let less of the junk through you dont want in the wort. After you use it to steep the grains, you can rinse it out and use it to boil the hops.

Last edited by JoMarky; 09-11-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Whoops! I missed the bit about adding the grains after bringing the liquor to the boil. My bad, and I take it back. Do what IrregularPulse said on that count.

I also missed the bit about pulling the bittering hops charge. Again, do what IP wrote and leave the first charge in the kettle. Again, I take it back.

That's what I get for replying while SWMBO is talking in the other ear about something completely different. Nice catch, IP!

I stand by my advice to add all of the extract at the beginning of the boil. We are, after all, boiling a volume larger than the brew length. If the OP were making a Pilsner, yeah, he'd want to do a late addition to control melanoidin production which impacts color. The recipe is for a Dark Mild. Color control isn't an issue. So the OP probably shouldn't complicate things further.

In fact, I think I've confused things sufficiently that I'm going to go do something else until I can string together a coherent thought! :?

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBeer View Post
I haven't brewed it myself, but I've heard good things about Yuri's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

I am planning on this as my next one after this weekend's easy sleazy basic pale ale...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply