Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Noob question; ag to extract conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Default Noob question; ag to extract conversion

Sorry if this is obvious but I couldn't find it...i am looking at a mash/LT cooler conversion of the 5 gallon type and am interested in all grain brewing but I realize that to get good utilization I will need to maintain a good water to grain ratio. This presents a problem when you want to brew over 1.075 gravity brews. So I am asking how hard is it to figure out an extract replacement for an all-grain recipe trying to minimize the amount of extract used to maintain a good water to grain ratio in the mash vessel (5 gal total water+grain)?
Any good rules of thumb out there?

Last edited by Brewskii; 06-21-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: ipod word auto replacement sucks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't usually brew many beers above 1.060, but generally speaking I'd start using extract once my mash tun can no longer accommodate the grist at 1 qt/lb. BeerSmith makes it pretty easy to figure out.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply