Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > no secondary really is great

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerard View Post
Why do people care so much about clarity anyways?
I don't get it either, but I can tell you my roommate won't touch any of my beer until it drops clear...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
modF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been struggling with the whole primary/secondary thing for a while now, I read the other thread (well 11 pages or so) and was even more undecided. However, reading this one I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot now. Just the time I'll save on racking will be better spent drinking

Old 12-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
nobody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the only time i use a secondary is when i'm not going to have time to bottle after the brew has set at least 30 days in the primary. then i will rack it off into a secondary. right now i have a pilsner sitting in the cooler at around 40 degrees. i figure since i got the wine cooler in i would use it for lagering and cold crashing my beers.

i have noticed the thick heavy yeast cake in the bottum of all my beers when they come out of the primary. they pilsner that is in the cooler now is very clear now and there is another yeast cake about half as thick as the one that was in the primary in the secondary.

i like to let mine sit in the primry for t least a month then bottle. the secondary is when i know it will be awhile before i can bottle now.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using only a primary for the past 6 months and I can say my clarity is better and the taste has never been better. I will continue to do so.

I will emphatically argue against the "less sediment due to a compact yeast cake" argument however. The fact that my beer tastes better is reason enough for me to continue, but I have never gotten less beer out of a batch. My yeast cakes are not anywhere near compact. They are routinely stirred up easily with a simple racking cane and I'm getting about 4.5 gal out of every 5 gallon batch.

Perhaps I'm using fluffy flocculant yeast (us04, wyeast kolsch, etc) and don't cold crash, but even after 6 week primaries, I'm losing a ton of beer.

I'm not arguing against it as IMO this method produces a better beer - just less of it makes it's way into my kegs.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG

I don't get it either, but I can tell you my roommate won't touch any of my beer until it drops clear...
Reason enough not to let it clear. More for you!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 12-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #26
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4957 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhineinAlbany View Post
I have always used a secondary and decided this time around to only use a primary. Works great! I've never seen my batch so clear. I tried it on the AHS Texas blonde kit. Can't wait to taste it! Now I just need more primaries. I have 2 primaries (1-6.5 gal carboy and 1-6w gal carboy) and 2-5 gal carboys.
I know, right?

Just wait til you learn about that other thing. Amazing!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #27
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
You're right it does, as with most many things in this hobby, come down to you trying it yourself and doing it whatever way you feel more comfortable. the LHBS owner you speak of sounds like he has been brewing for ages and when you do something for so long you get very set in your ways. I have a brewer buddy who is 25+ years older than I am and when I told him I don't use a secondary he just looked at me like I was an idiot and then proceeded to try to compare our beers for clarity (sadly I forgot to use any finings in the boil and it was my first AG so I had some protein haze and he claimed his was clearer because he used secondary). I have linked him the same thread I linked earlier in this thread and some other info but simply because he has ALWAYS used a secondary he just cannot believe what I am trying to tell him. Not like it matters though, we all make delicious beer and we all do something a little differently.
Well I am about to go on vacation for three weeks and with my primary full, I decided to brew another batch tonight to put in my carboy so they would both be ready to bottle when I get back. So really I gave myself no other choice but to try it out...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #28
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Woot! That seems like a real win. Do you do many hefeweizens then?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Xaphoeous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 798 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
Well I am about to go on vacation for three weeks...
WTF??? How in the crap do you afford to take a 3-week vacation? What employer allows this? Nice work, jerk

"Just chug a few. Then all of the sudden it's time to be drunk, and you don't have the time for whatever else you were doing." -TallDan

Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've only dry hopped in my secondary. When dry hopping in the primary, how does it effect they yeast cake, especially concerning the reuse of my yeast?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS