The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > No Secondary Dry Hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
bobbrewster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Secondary Dry Hopping?

Question, My Sierra Nevada recipe says to dry hop after a week when transrerring to secondary fermenter. I don't have or plan on using a secondary fermenter. When should I add the dry hops and how long should I leave them in the primary before bottling? Thanks, Robert

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
ChuckMoney
Recipes 

Before I got my second primary, I used to wait until my krausen had completely fallen and hydrometer readings were static for 3 days. I've also heard of people racking to their bottling bucket, cleaning/sanitizing their primary, and racking back into the primary, but this seems a bit inefficient to me. Theres nothing wrong with leaving your brew in the primary for a few weeks, just make sure the initial fermentation is pretty much complete whenever you toss your hops in.

Primary: Light/Dark American Wheat
Secondary: Odd Dark Pale Ale, Fruity Weisse
Bottled/Drinking: Pittsburgh style Old Ale, Angry Paul's Chocolate Ale, Honey-Chili Porter, Frankenbeer-y

Drawing Board: Belgian Dubbel

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would transfer after a week or so in the primary. With dry hopping you just do not want to dry hop during the vigorous fermentation of the first few days. You can be sure by checking the gravity for a few days. If the gravity is not changing then throw the hops in, and leave them for as long as you want. Some people do a few days some do a couple weeks. Follow the recipe if you are not sure.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, when the primary fermentation is done, just open it up and throw the hops in, then close it again. Make sure your hands are clean, and try to work quickly... you don't have to rush or anything, but you know, make sure the hops are already open and at hand and you can just dump 'em and close the lid again.

Leave 'em in as long as you like. I'd say not much longer than two weeks, but anything up to that is just more hop aroma.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
bobbrewster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Yeah, when the primary fermentation is done, just open it up and throw the hops in, then close it again. Make sure your hands are clean, and try to work quickly... you don't have to rush or anything, but you know, make sure the hops are already open and at hand and you can just dump 'em and close the lid again.

Leave 'em in as long as you like. I'd say not much longer than two weeks, but anything up to that is just more hop aroma.
My dry hops have only been in the fermenter for 2 days and the stinch of hops is rediculous! I put more hops than I was supposed to in the wort so I'm not sure dry hopping is required anyway. Will I have any adverse effects If I go ahead and bottle now before my beer is too hoppy?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 11 Posts

Stench? I'm sorry can you describe too hoppy. I dry hop in the keg and they stay in there for a week before I even tap, then until the keg is empty. sometimes up to 3 weeks. So I'm not sure what too hoppy is. the hops in the wort will give you bittering where dry hopping gives aroma and flavor. if you over wort hopped then I suggest 2 things. 1) definetly dry hop to help balance the amount of bitter you are going to have. 2) let it condition long enough(6-8 weeks minimum) for the flavors to meld and possibly mellow a little.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Last edited by beerthirty; 07-01-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Since you aren't using a clearing tank, I'd add the hops one week before you plan on bottling. If you keg, dry hop in the keg a week before you want to serve.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewster View Post
My dry hops have only been in the fermenter for 2 days and the stinch of hops is rediculous! I put more hops than I was supposed to in the wort so I'm not sure dry hopping is required anyway. Will I have any adverse effects If I go ahead and bottle now before my beer is too hoppy?
You will if it's not done fermenting!

Hoppiness is the easiest thing to manage, though... just wait and it goes away.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
bobbrewster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
You will if it's not done fermenting!

Hoppiness is the easiest thing to manage, though... just wait and it goes away.
yeist has fallen but I still have about 1 bubble from airlock every two minutes or so. target gravity is 14-16. It's at 15 now from 16 yesterday. If it stays at 15 for 3 days I'll bottle and let condition for >4 weeks. (trying one or two in the mean time of course =) ) Thanks a ton guys.

Quick Reply