Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > No Carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
msinning
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No Carb

Been extract brewing for about four years now and never had carbonation issues. Bottled four cases, two three weeks ago, and two, two weeks ago and they have no carb. Did everything the same as I always do, 2/3 cup of dextrose in 2 cups of water in the bucket. Could it have been bad fermentation? Anyone have any ideas? I bottled two IPA's, a Scottish Wee Heavy and a Winter Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Were they high gravity beers? Did you cold crash at all? What temps are you storing it at? What yeast did you use? if you had fermentation and hit your gravity numbers, its just a matter of time.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's no such thing as "bad fermentation." They're not carbed yet, because they're not ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 839 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 110

IF ALL 5 of these apply:

1. You added carbonation tabs or sugar to the beer before you bottled it.
  2. The beer has sat for at least 3 weeks. If it hasn't sat for 3 weeks let it sit one more and see what happens.
  3. The beer was sitting at room temp for the whole time. it needs to be sitting in the low 70s. If not, it may have to sit for a bit longer.
  4. You open the beer and there is barely anything or almost no head.
  5. you have read, understand and can recite Revvy's Bottling Sticky from memory
then...
rouse the yeast: place all your beer bottles upside down, so they are resting on the cap. After 3 days rotate them, so they are sitting back up right. Wait another 3 days, refrigerate, then open them up!

I did this to my undercarbed Belgian and it worked like a champ

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
There's no such thing as "bad fermentation." They're not carbed yet, because they're not ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Temp and gravity are the two most important factors as to how long it will take.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....
Hey, by the way... I now you repeat it a lot around here lol. I adopted the method, and everything goes right now, but I have a question for you. (sorry to deviate the thread...)

I bottle a Black barley wine/Imperial Porter last week. It fermented for 3 or 4 months, going through 3 fermentation (primaire, secondary on oak chips and tertiary... (what ever the word is in english)).

It is 10.3%, fermented with WL530 Abbey Ale, I carbed with 5g/L (0.67oz/gal). It is now around 23°C (73°F). the tricky part is... I only have 7 big bottles of it, and I plan to age it really long (wait at least 6 months, and only drink one every 2-3 months after that, for great occasions). So, I can't really open a bottle each week to see carbanation evolution.

What do you suggest? How long should I leave it at 73F before bring it down in the cave at 50F?

Thanks1

Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

I'd wait 6 months even before "caving" it. If you want to make sure.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'd wait 6 months even before "caving" it. If you want to make sure.
Thanks! I was thinking 2 or 3 months at least. I'll go with 6, it will help be not to open one before. ''high'' temp doesn't affect the conservation?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Nope. Many folks don't have caves, and leave their bottles at room temp til the chill a few to drink.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Lately my beer is taking twice as long to carb up than what I was used to. I'm not really sure why, but that's just how it goes. Patience is the name of the game!

Old 12-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
ssazreal560
Recipes 

In my experience carbonation can happen quite suddenly also, like over the course of a weekend or maybe even just a day. I have bottled beers before and waited two weeks to try it out opened one on a friday and there was no carbonation opened one saturday and it had low levels of carb and by sunday or monday they were ready to drink...

Beer is weird just be patient!

A guy at work asks what I am doing over the weekend. "Not much." I say, "Might brew some beer." "Wow!" Says the guy, "You ever get caught?" - sendkyleanemail

Quick Reply