Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Next up oatmeal stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Brewno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, it took about 7 hours lag time to get my first bubble. That was at around 10:25 last night. This morning it's bubbling away. I want to say a bubble per second but I think it's even faster than that, maybe 2 bubbles. It looks like 2.5 to 3 inch krausen.

Time will tell if I screwed up on this one, for now all is well. I'm glad I went with the 2 gals of water rather than the 1.5 the recipe called for. It seems when all was said and done I had lost a full gal to evaporation and steeping.

I had about a 2.5 inch scorch on the bottom of the kettle even though I stirred fairly constantly. there was also some toasted looking grain at the bottom of my "tea" pot. I thought it was burnt on until I wiped it, it may just have been sediment. It smelled like burnt toast though and looked like coffee grains.

I have a question about boils. I may be misunderstanding the term "rolling boil."
I'm interpreting this as vigorous and so I turn the heat up way high. I'm talking "rolling!" My stove is a piece of crap so it's hard to control (electric and old). Can it be too high? I stir a lot.
But it's rolling like waves!

Tommy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewno
I had about a 2.5 inch scorch on the bottom of the kettle even though I stirred fairly constantly. there was also some toasted looking grain at the bottom of my "tea" pot. I thought it was burnt on until I wiped it, it may just have been sediment. It smelled like burnt toast though and looked like coffee grains.

I have a question about boils. I may be misunderstanding the term "rolling boil."
I'm interpreting this as vigorous and so I turn the heat up way high. I'm talking "rolling!" My stove is a piece of crap so it's hard to control (electric and old). Can it be too high? I stir a lot.
But it's rolling like waves!

Tommy
After reading your other post on the now infamous "Gravity & Sweetness", I looked into this one.

I learned the hard way when I was getting used to my keggle. You need alot of BTU's to get to the boil, but once you reach it, you can safely turn the heat down and still keep the boil. (that's the learning part as I could not easily judge where to keep the heat with such a large volume) I had a huge scorch on the bottom of the keggle and my wort came out a chocolate brown instead of a light brown. The good part is that it only burned a small portion so the taste coming out of the boil was not horrible, just bitter like a burnt chocolate chip cookie. Since I like burnt chocolate chip cookies, I think I'll enjoy this one. Someone else told me that if you let the brew age longer the scorched taste will "mostly" dissipate and I found that when I went to 2ndary, that it was a bit less than when I first tested. I plan on leaving in 2ndary for at least 3-4 weeks before going to bottle.

You mentioned burnt grains on the bottom, are you boiling the grains with your wort or was this just escapees from a muslin bag?

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 11-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopfan
You mentioned burnt grains on the bottom, are you boiling the grains with your wort or was this just escapees from a muslin bag?

It wasn't the wort, it was my steep pot. I think it was just escapees since it wiped right off. It was more like coffee grains.

EDIT:
Yes, you're right I also had a small scorch spot on the bottom of my brew kettle, I don't know what that was from. Just a small spot.

Tommy

Quick Reply