Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Next step...out of kits to recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
God Emporer BillyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah
Also there's a computer called ProMash that is awesome! I use it for designing recipes and it makes figuring out IBU a piece of cake. You plug in the AA% of the hops you're using, the order you're using them, how long you want to boil them, and how much you have and it spits out the IBUs.
I just wish there was an easier way to figure out how much to buy when you get to your lhbs and figure out what the AA% of the hops they have is.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
I just wish there was an easier way to figure out how much to buy when you get to your lhbs and figure out what the AA% of the hops they have is.
Is it really that big of a deal? Think about it: the AA of the hops you buy is not going to differ that much from the ProMash standards. So you buy high and adjust on the fly. If you have extra hops afterwards, you save 'em for next time.

Or you can buy hops in bulk online and the websites oftentimes will have the AA listed before you buy.

Or, bring your lappy to the LHBS with you, and adjust the AA in ProMash right in the store

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #13
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is advanced brewing to me. I've got to learn all this stuff, but hey, in time.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
This is advanced brewing to me. I've got to learn all this stuff, but hey, in time.
There's always something to learn when it comes to HB. The great thing about ProMash is that the BJCP guidelines for each style are actually built into the program. So let's say you wanted to brew an English ESB. You start a new recipe, and it asks you what kind of beer it's going to be. You select English ESB, and it tells you, with regards to IBU's, SRM and OG, the range where your beer should fall. Then, you add the ingredients, and it tells you where your beer is. As long as it falls within the BJCP range, it'll at least be close to that style.

Believe me, if you want to move away from kits to doing your own recipes (which I highly recommend---it yields a much bigger sense of accomplishment, and much more control to suit your own tastes), ProMash or Beersmith are a must IMHO. Personally, I started out with Papazian before I brewed my first batch, so I could know the basic process before proceeding. Then I brewed my first few batches with a friend who had done it before. Then, I read a good portion of Designing Great Beers, and I got ProMash. I'd recommend all of these things, but there's no magic bullet that's going to make you "get it" right away.

I will say, though: this hobby is rare in that delicious things can come from the most novice brewer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Now THAT is the honest truth. Never had a hobby that I enjoyed the fruits of my labor as much as I do this. I think my problem, or what I need to learn, is what kind of hops and other additives to what to the beer. I've been doing a lot of smelling lately. The one BCM beer I do like is Michelob Ultra Amber. You can really smell the hops in that one. Another thing I've noticed, homebrews are a lot "thicker" than BCM brews. I would guess the watered down approach to spread out the profits. But, that is a fairly good beer.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Is it really that big of a deal? Think about it: the AA of the hops you buy is not going to differ that much from the ProMash standards. So you buy high and adjust on the fly. If you have extra hops afterwards, you save 'em for next time.

Or you can buy hops in bulk online and the websites oftentimes will have the AA listed before you buy.

Or, bring your lappy to the LHBS with you, and adjust the AA in ProMash right in the store
I guess I just need to bone up on the equation. Numbers make my head spin.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 10-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #17
Engelramm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
The great thing about ProMash is that the BJCP guidelines for each style are actually built into the program. So let's say you wanted to brew an English ESB. You start a new recipe, and it asks you what kind of beer it's going to be. You select English ESB, and it tells you, with regards to IBU's, SRM and OG, the range where your beer should fall. Then, you add the ingredients, and it tells you where your beer is. As long as it falls within the BJCP range, it'll at least be close to that style.
Now that's really cool. I've just been following recipes and getting good results, but now that I have some experience with what certain styles are supposed to taste like, I am wanting to experiment a bit more within those styles. I think this would be a great tool for me.

Dear Santa,

Old 10-24-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Now THAT is the honest truth. Never had a hobby that I enjoyed the fruits of my labor as much as I do this. I think my problem, or what I need to learn, is what kind of hops and other additives to what to the beer. I've been doing a lot of smelling lately. The one BCM beer I do like is Michelob Ultra Amber. You can really smell the hops in that one. Another thing I've noticed, homebrews are a lot "thicker" than BCM brews. I would guess the watered down approach to spread out the profits. But, that is a fairly good beer.
I still try to find recipes with the hob profiles I want. I alter the recipe, but generally try to stay around a similar hop profile. Remember too that homebrews could have things in it to 'thicken' or give mouth feel to brews. You also might be compairing an ale to a lager.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM   #19
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know the stuff I brew at home is definently thicker than the store bought stuff. I can't prove it, it just seems more viscous.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What we call this is "mouth feel". Using sugars that won't ferment out you will get more mouth feel..... somehting like Lactose or MD..... if you do AG then you can mash at more close to the 158-160 degree range... differenet ways to do it.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply