Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > next batch! what to try?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
BootYtRappeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default next batch! what to try?

When I went to my local homebrew shop to buy my first ingredients I ran into a guy who told me to try a Stout. I mentioned a weizen and he told me that a stout was easier to brew than a weizen. why?
I dont have the time to get into all grain yet so my next batch or two will have to be an extract w/ an additional steeping grain.
and does anyone have any suggestions for a second batch?

bootytrapper

ps. to filter out suggestions; I cant stand a weak beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

well.. with winter coming up soon here, I would suggest a very dark beer with some 'warming' potential. A robust porter or a stout.

Wheat beers typically make me think of 'spring or summer', as so lighter ales.

Amber and brown ales are my fall selections, along with sweeter porters and stouts.

Basically, my beers tend to get darker and heartier as the weather gets colder.

But, that's just me.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Walker

Recipes 

hmmm... i'm unclear from your original post... what WAS your first batch? Was it a weizen or a stout?

-walker

Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it sounds like a stout would suit your tastes. I don't know if a stout is particularly "easier" per se, but the strong flavors of darker beers are able to mask mistakes and off flavors more readily.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
kneemoe
Recipes 

easier in that the darker beers can be more forgiving to a beginner in that they can cover up some slightly off tastes if little things go wrong, the lighter the beer the more likely you are to notice to weird flavors (if they occur) cuz its a more delicate tasting beer to begin with

if you're up for it, i'd say a great strong first beer would be a overloaded stout, maybe 9lbs of lme if you want a lil burn in your belly from it.
actually, the coffee stout walker recently asked about (7 lbs extract IIRC) wouldn't be too hard and should be right up your alley, nice dark beer with plenty of fermentables and a slight coffee/espresso taste, you could even up the extraxct a lb. or two if you want the extra kick in yer pants.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemoe
actually, the coffee stout walker recently asked about (7 lbs extract IIRC) wouldn't be too hard and should be right up your alley, nice dark beer with plenty of fermentables and a slight coffee/espresso taste, you could even up the extraxct a lb. or two if you want the extra kick in yer pants.
Yup.. that one has about 7lbs of extract, plus a pound of dark brown sugar. The sugar is only added to my recipe because I used Dutch Laagland DME, which is slightly lower in fermentable sugars than British DME. If you use any other DME, you can probably omit the brown sugar.

As for adding more extract, I actually intend to prime that one with DME rather than corn sugar, so it will probably have about another lb or so in it before I am done.

-walker

Old 09-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
BootYtRappeR

Recipes 

My first batch was an Irish Stout LME 4lb can with an additional 1lb steeped barley grain. I don't know what to try. My selection at the local HB shop is limited.

what's the main difference between a porter and a stout?

BT

Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootytrapper
My first batch was an Irish Stout LME 4lb can with an additional 1lb steeped barley grain. I don't know what to try. My selection at the local HB shop is limited.
Was that a 5 gallon batch!? That's a really REALLY low amount of extract, and that 'stout' is going to be pretty watery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootytrapper
what's the main difference between a porter and a stout?
most stouts have a roasted/toasty/coffee taste and are black as sin. usually pretty heavy beers (it's easy to get a full belly from drinking stout before you get drunk from it.)

porters can range from brown to black in color, and can range from sweet and malty to dry and roasty in flavor. Porter is a big bridge between "ale" and "stout".

Check out this reference for info on different beer styles with good descriptions of flavors:

BJCP Style Guidelines

Last edited by Walker; 09-29-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
BootYtRappeR

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Was that a 5 gallon batch!?
it was a 3½ gallon batch!

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for!!!
|
V

Quote:
porters sweet and malty in flavor.

BT

Old 09-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
most stouts have a roasted/toasty/coffee taste and are black as sin. usually pretty heavy beers (it's easy to get a full belly from drinking stout before you get drunk from it.)

porters can range from brown to black in color, and can range from sweet and malty to dry and roasty in flavor. Porter is a big bridge between "ale" and "stout".

Further, the origin of stout came along when someone would ask for a "stout porter" meaning a heavier and stronger version of porter. Eventually the 2 styles became a different entity, especially when dark roasted malts like roasted barley and black patent became popular.

I learned that in Designing Great Beers, cause someone asked me what th edifference was adn I wasn't sure.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply