Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Next batch right on the cake?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Bigbens6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Next batch right on the cake?!?!

So i have seen this phrased several times, example:

Quote:
I used (insert yeast info here) and really liked it, i just got done with a (insert random brew here) and i just threw a (insert another random brew here) right on the cake.
IF I am understanding this correctly, people are fermenting in their primary, racing it off to bottling/secondary and then throwing another batch right on top of that yeast sediment in their primary without cleaning.sanitizing at all... is that right, how safe is it? pros? cons? how long after racking off the last batch do you have to put in the new bath , should it be immediately or i sitting 30-an hour gonna hurt, this intrigues me!!!

Coming up: IPA
Fermenting: NADA grrrrr....
Bottles: American Amber, ESB, Pilsner, Choc Stout, Boch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There's still plenty of activity in yeast when you offer it new sugars to motivate it. Can't say much on the pros/cons, other then saving a couple dollars?

Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You got it right, just toss it in on top of the cake from the previous batch. Assuming you cleaned and sanitized on the first batch, your fermenter is good to go.
Pros: lots of healthy yeast; no lag time; fast and furious fermentation; no need to buy more yeast.
Cons: I can't really think of a con, however, it feels a little weird putting your brew in a gunked up fermenter the first time. It gets easier after you see how well it works.

As long as you keep a layer of the previous brew protecting the yeast, 30 hours should be fine.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is the best way, IMO, to have a large "starter" for big beers.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If the primary is not infected (ie, the brew coming out is good) then nothing that's in it, however awful it might look (it was in with the beer that came out, remember?) is bad.

The sanitizing took place when you filled it the first time. So long as you also sanitized your racking setup correctly, it's sanitary. Normally the beer is not "random" - needs to be something that work with the yeast in question, and also one usually progresses to higher gravity beers, so that it's not overpitched.

As compared to "yeast washing" it provides a lot less opportunity for new infections - less handling. But it does look odd if you equate "grubby kreusen ring" or "trub" with "infection" - which is not a correct equation.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dude, it rocks! As long as the first beer wasn't way stronger in flavor or "size" than the new beer, you shouldn't have any added flavors...

Yes, every time someone asks about pouring onto yeast cakes, I will put up this vid...

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Throckmorton
Recipes 

Glad you guys posted this. I am about to brew a simple pale ale which I am going to just toss on top of a yeast cake of Irish Red (White Labs California). I think I'm going to attach the airlock to a blow off tube just to be on the safe side, as shown in the video.

I am wondering how many batches can you pitch onto the same yeast cake?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
andrewjb
Recipes 

I think I've heard 3-4 before the yeast start to "mutate", but I'm not sure what that results in... experiment for us?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Throckmorton
Recipes 

Well... I had a brew night yesterday. Combined bottling what was in my primary (Irish Red) and brewing a batch of Pale Ale. I pitched the Pale Ale wort on top of the Irish Red yeast cake at around 11 pm EST. Woke up this morning and it is bubblin' away already. Combining the two activities was a big time saver too.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Bigbens6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im thinking time saver as well, i wanted to do it yeaterday but my buddy didnt have tim and i was tired...

Coming up: IPA
Fermenting: NADA grrrrr....
Bottles: American Amber, ESB, Pilsner, Choc Stout, Boch

Quick Reply