Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Newbie's First non-Mr Beer Brew: Briess Final Course

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Newbie's First non-Mr Beer Brew: Briess Final Course

Okay guys. I'm a newbie thanks to Mr.Beer!

It was too easy. So I decided to read and read and read about how to brew with more control. Let me just say, there are some serious beer nerds out there on the interwebs. And I mean that with the utmost respect. I'm an engineer myself.

But holy molly, there are some serious beer brewers out there and there is a ton of information to go with.

In saying all of that, I finally order me some ingredients from Midwest Supplies. My first attempt will be with Briess's recipe, "Final Course" (you can find it on their website):

Quantity Ingredient
6.6 lbs Briess CBW® Pilsen LME
0.75 lbs Briess Caramel Malt 40L
0.5 lbs Briess Caramel Malt 60L
0.25 lbs Briess Caramel Malt 120L
0.5 lbs Briess Chocolate Malt
1.25 oz East Kent Golding (5.0 AA) 60 minute boil time
1 vial WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Brewing Procedures:
1. Steep crushed grains at 160 – 170ºF for 30 minutes.
2. Remove grains.
3. Bring to boil.
4. Add East Kent Golding Hops.
5. Boil 60 minutes.
6. Cool and pitch WLP002 English Ale Yeast.

Fermentation:
Primary: 14 Days 65 – 68ºF
Secondary: 14 Days 35ºF

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Okay, I couldn't get all of the ingredients exactly. So I did what anyone else would do, deviate from the recipe and make my own.

Here is my alteration:

6 lbs Briess Amber LME
2 lbs Briess Caramel Malt 60L
1.25 oz Kent Goldings
1 vial WL002 English Ale Yeast

The big difference is I am noy using a Pilsen LME base, but rather an Amber for the base.

I would like to hear the horror stories about using too much Amber (Carmel 60L) in a brew.

But, of course, as any stubborn human brewer, I'm gonna try it anyway and let you know what actually happened.

I plan to make 2 gallon batches since my Mr. Beer is only 2 gallons per... so I can change it up the second time. I am looking for ideas as well.

Should I try to order a lighter base, Pilsner LME, in order to bring down the sweetness?

Could I just not use the LME (or use less) and perhaps use more malt?

You are more than welcome to confuse me to no end.

Thanks for reading! I am sure I will be addicted for now on as I pretty much am tired of the beer offered in my grocery store. I need my own set of 'go to' recipes once and for all.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 788 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 273

When you brew an extract recipe you are looking for the correct mix of fermentables and unfermentable malt sugars like you would get from Crystal malts. It really doesn't matter whether they come from liquid malt extract or dry malt extract, it just that usually the liquid is a bit cheaper since it doesn't have to be dried all the way. Lots of recipes have you mix liquid and dry malt extract as the liquid comes in a container with a specific amount and when you need just a little more it is easier to add the small amount of dry which can be packaged easier.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Looks like a winner to me, you will be making beer! I really like crystal 60, good caramel flavor, really makes a malty beer stand out. I recommend using a beer calc program to help you prototype your recipes. Hopville.com is pretty easy to use and web based. Here is your recipe. As far as choosing your ingredients goes, its all about what you are wanting to end up with. If you want to go for a certain style you can look up the guidelines and then use hopville to tweek the recipe until it fits. The great thing about this hobby is you will be making beer no matter what

Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
olhoss
Recipes 

I agree with tmoney645, if you're going to work up your own recipes or scale existing recipes brewing software makes this easy!!! I use Beersmith 2 and have quickly graduated from Mr Beer to Boxed recipes to putting together my own recipes. Its easy to scale from 5 gallon recpies to 2 gal or 10 gal or whatever size you want. Also you see the effect of everything you add to color, IBU, OG, etc. Have fun with it . Almost anything makes better beer than you buy at the store.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney645 View Post
Looks like a winner to me, you will be making beer! I really like crystal 60, good caramel flavor, really makes a malty beer stand out. I recommend using a beer calc program to help you prototype your recipes. Hopville.com is pretty easy to use and web based. Here is your recipe. As far as choosing your ingredients goes, its all about what you are wanting to end up with. If you want to go for a certain style you can look up the guidelines and then use hopville to tweek the recipe until it fits. The great thing about this hobby is you will be making beer no matter what
Man, thanks a lot for that calculator AND doing it for my recipe! Much appreciated.

I figure I will do a 2.5 gallon batch (Mr. Beer) with this recipe. Then do another 2.5 with the pilsner LME. By then, I think I will have an idea of how much I will alter it with other special grains to tweak the flavor.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Question. Is there a low profile base, something that hardly has taste, that can help boost the alcohol content without ruining taste?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can add corn sugar to boost ABV without changing flavor, but you have to make sure that your fermentables are at minimum 2/3 malt to 1/3 sugar. Too much sugar and you get start to get cider flavors. I would just use some plain light DME though, it will get you more ABV without drying out your beer.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
jeffd10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Question. Is there a low profile base, something that hardly has taste, that can help boost the alcohol content without ruining taste?
R1R,

I think sugar would do this, or DME ...but then again that messes with the rest of the recipe...

Primary 1: Shooting Range IPA
Primary 2: Checkered Pilsner
Primary 3: Marris Pale Ale

Tapped 1: RyeIPA
Tapped 2: Englishman in New York (Stout)

Sunnyside Ave Brewery

“ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. ”

— Czech Proverb

Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
That's where something like Extra Light DME/LME (Dry/Liquid Malt Extract) would come in handy. You'd still want to adjust your hop additions slightly to accommodate the malt addition depending on weight used.

Quick Reply