HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > New here. Hello! Coopers kits...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
Kai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewNdrink
Thanks for the reply!

I was going to ask you if they shipped to Canada, but then saw you're from Halifax. I will get the nerve to try this when my little place isn't so busy with kids. :-)

Would liquid yeast strains make a big difference with these Coopers kits?

I'll have to experiment with different hops and different yeast strains and see what I can come up with in my next batches for the summer.

Do alot of you use maltodextrin? Does it really help with holding the head ? And how much do you use per 5 gallon batch? It would be nice to have a real thick creamy stout this next winter (with the nitro!)

So my next batch will be using the Coopers Canadian Blonde. I'll be using about 500g of pale malt with about 1 cup of dextrose (nice lite beer). And Nottingham instead of that fruity Coopers yeast. Dry hopping in the secondary with a bit of saaz. And finally in the tap-a-draft for priming.

Sorry for asking the simple questions, but where I am there isn't alot of experienced home brewers around. Mostly wine country.

Cheers.
Tony.
Actually, I don't think AHS ships directly to Canada. Northern Brewer does. I can't vouch for their kits, but I'm sure they're really good.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
pjczech
Recipes 

Does anyone know what I can use instead of their "enhancing" product? I have a lager kit I got as a gift but not 1 kg of the enhancer and am wondering what I can use. I havent found the enhancer anywhere... I assume its just DME?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
rocketcrab
Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds excellent!

Since you're familiar with the Coopers Stout kit, how can I get this kit to kick it close to a Guinness type of stout? Just following the basic directions obviously doesn't cut it :-) It's very thin and bitter. What do you recommend? I know very little about stouts except how to drink them.

My dream is to brew a Guinness type batch this fall, bottle it with my tap-a-draft, and then add the nitro cartidges to get that beautiful creamy head (maybe with a little mod restriction on the tap).
Try this, it's from the Cascadia website [importer of Cooper's products]:

Irish Stout
by Geoffrey Minett

Original Gravity (°Plato) Final Gravity (°Plato) IBUs % Alc./Wt. (Alc./V.) Color SRM (EBC)
() () 0 (0) ()

Description

Quantity [Metric] Ingredient Comment
1 can Coopers Stout Kit
0.5 lb(s) [0.2 kg(s)] pearl barley
0.25 lb(s) [0.1 kg(s)] brown sugar
0.25 lb(s) [0.1 kg(s)] flaked barley
1 lb(s) [0.5 kg(s)] Coopers Dark Malt Extract
1.75 lb(s) [0.8 kg(s)] corn sugar
1 pkg Coopers Ale yeast
1 sticks Licorice Stick

Instruction
Plan of Attack (Night before)

Roast pearl barley in electric oven on tray at 200deg C until brown then crack or purchase roasted cracked barley.
Boil roasted barley and simmer 1 hour until "open" (4 litres of water). Add flaked barley simmer further 1/2 hour.
Strain through cheese cloth overnight.
Boil 22 litres water. Allow to cool overnight if necessary to reduce chlorine level.
Next morning

Boil licorice sticks in 2-3 cups of water until dissolved to make 1 cup of licorice water.
Boil Brew Booster, black sugar, liquid dark malt and boiled barley water until sugar dissolved. add licorice and can of Coopers Stout (2 litres of water)
Add to fermenter with yeast and cold water. brew for normal period.

Also, here is a link to a recipe book based on Cooper's kits and products. There is a Guiness clone in there:

http://www.cascadiabrew.com/pdf/recipes.pdf

Last edited by rocketcrab; 03-05-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcrab
Try this, it's from the Cascadia website [importer of Cooper's products]:

Irish Stout
by Geoffrey Minett

Original Gravity (°Plato) Final Gravity (°Plato) IBUs % Alc./Wt. (Alc./V.) Color SRM (EBC)
() () 0 (0) ()

Description

Quantity [Metric] Ingredient Comment
1 can Coopers Stout Kit
0.5 lb(s) [0.2 kg(s)] pearl barley
0.25 lb(s) [0.1 kg(s)] brown sugar
0.25 lb(s) [0.1 kg(s)] flaked barley
1 lb(s) [0.5 kg(s)] Coopers Dark Malt Extract
1.75 lb(s) [0.8 kg(s)] corn sugar
1 pkg Coopers Ale yeast
1 sticks Licorice Stick

Instruction
Plan of Attack (Night before)

Roast pearl barley in electric oven on tray at 200deg C until brown then crack or purchase roasted cracked barley.
Boil roasted barley and simmer 1 hour until "open" (4 litres of water). Add flaked barley simmer further 1/2 hour.
Strain through cheese cloth overnight.
Boil 22 litres water. Allow to cool overnight if necessary to reduce chlorine level.
Next morning

Boil licorice sticks in 2-3 cups of water until dissolved to make 1 cup of licorice water.
Boil Brew Booster, black sugar, liquid dark malt and boiled barley water until sugar dissolved. add licorice and can of Coopers Stout (2 litres of water)
Add to fermenter with yeast and cold water. brew for normal period.

Also, here is a link to a recipe book based on Cooper's kits and products. There is a Guiness clone in there:

http://www.cascadiabrew.com/pdf/recipes.pdf
Wow... that's one great link! There's like 5 different stout recipies in there. Thanks very much.

Licorice?? Hmmm... interesting. Is that the closest you've found to the Guinness recipe with the Coopers stout kit?

I'm busy brewing the summer beers now, but I can't wait for the fall (??) to start brewing those creamy stouts.

Thanks again for the recipies.

Cheers,
Tony.

Last edited by brewNdrink; 03-05-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
rocketcrab
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjczech
Does anyone know what I can use instead of their "enhancing" product? I have a lager kit I got as a gift but not 1 kg of the enhancer and am wondering what I can use. I havent found the enhancer anywhere... I assume its just DME?
From what I have been able to pick up elsewhere, the BE1 is primarily maltodextrine and corn sugar. The BE2 is maltodextrine, corn sugar, and light DME.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
rocketcrab
Recipes 

Quote:

Licorice?? Hmmm... interesting. Is that the closest you've found to the Guinness recipe with the Coopers stout kit?

Cheers,
Tony.
Yea, pretty much. You can do a search on "Aussie Homebrewing" and you'll come up with a ton of places to check out.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #17
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think one of the keys to making stout that is similar to Guinness is using lactose. I have never used it but the guys and gals here say that is what gives it a sweetnes and the white creamy head.

I could be wrong but I believe it is non fermenting so you can add it during secondary - but some of the folks around here would know a bit better then I. Or you could just doa search for lactose.

Cheers

Quick Reply