Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > New Dead Guy with 1/2 gal pacman starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
lostnfoam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default New Dead Guy with 1/2 gal pacman starter

well i just finished brewing my dead guy clone, i made the starter in a 5 gal carboy. at first i was worried with all the air space, however it wasnt a problam at all. the air alock was stall popping when i pitched it. the crazy thing was i normal get some lag time. my last stater picked up i about 6 hrs, but it was only two cups. well the thing that made my draw drop was while i was clean i noticed that the beer was already popping. it couldnt have been more then 30-40 mins and has started up. well i figure i may be on watch for the night to make sure this carboy doesnt blow all over the office.

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Next to brew: coffee brown ale, witenger, belgain pale ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nice bro! 30-40 minutes?? I think you may have set a new record

Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
lostnfoam

Recipes 

well i dont know about any record but.. its popping away. for a bit i thought that it didn't mix well an the starter was sitting on the foam head for aireating. so i gave it a couple of soft shake to make sure it mixed down through the foam. and it still dont. i timed it right now at a pop every 53 seconds. i dont know does this sound werid to you guys? i was only cleaning for like i said 30 -40 mins and i noticed that the air lock was popping. well to be on the safe side its in a 6.5 gal carboy and i have towels setup around the room to protect stuff. well ill keep you all posted later today

Secondary:

Bottled: English pale ale (first AG), cream ale, phat trye, oatmeal stout, imperial pumkin, imperial Ipa, kreik, calowiezen, winter warmer, st john IPA, pumkin ale, pumkin porter, imperial stout, belgain pale ale

Old 01-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

You might want to think about a blow off- it sounds pretty vigorous. I'm brewing my Dead Guy tomorrow- I made about 1/2 gallon starter and I'm thinking blowoff tube for sure. I already cleaned up one mess (albeit small) this week.

Lorena

(the_bird has me thinking every thing I write sounds dirty. Must be my imagination)

Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My last four beers have been with Pacman and I haven't had any blowoff situations. My last beer was a slurry repitch and I also had activity within an hour.

Each beer has been pretty much the same. I get about a two inch krausen that almost gets to the slope of a 6 gallon carboy and stays put. For each beer I used a 1/2 gallon starter except for a 60 Schilling Scottish Ale that had a 1.039 SG.

I have been so spoiled by Pacman fermentations, I didn't bother with a blowoff tube when I did a Kölsch last week. Sure enough, I had krausen in the airlock.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
lostnfoam

Recipes 

ill see how it goes. i just got home from work the room smells like a good brew and i must say i have never seen the aitlock poping off like it is now and well so soon. but if it makes it way out of the 6.5 gal carboy then damn im in some trouble. well until later.. ill keep you all posted.

Secondary:

Old 01-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #7
lostnfoam

Recipes 

hey Lorena just think your recipe is going on this thing next should be a nice start as well.

Secondary:

Quick Reply