Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > New Brewer Full Boil Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster
Did you use the late add method for the LME? I am interested to know if the full boil stops the LME from caramelizing (turning a red tint). I have always added late, full boil or not, just curious how yours turned out.

Sounds pretty thorough for a first batch. I remember my first batch. I pitched yeast at 100 degrees. Quick fermention.

There were a couple suggestions to add LME late, but since this is my first batch I thought I would add it all at the beginning as a test case. That way, for my next pale ale I can try late addition to see if that makes any difference. When I do, I'll be sure to let you know. One thing I was a little wary of with late extract addition was fooling with the hop utilization factor; too low gravity causes poor hop utilization (i think?). But in any case, this brew should be a good benchmark for my next pale ale. I wish I had the room and equipment to do two batches, one with late extract addition, and one without. Then I would have a good experimental base for a taste test (and twice the beer of course!). As far as the fermentation goes, I cooled the wort down to about 75F before transferring to the carboy, and it held at about 74F until sometime last night.

In addition, the other experiment I'm doing for my first batch is only using primary fermentation and going straight to bottles. This is another debate that seems to be ongoing here, and next time I brew a pale ale I will be doing a secondary. I plan on saving a 6 pack from this batch until my next pale ale brew for comparison. Hopefully, I'll be doing this recipe again with little modification in May. Here's what I plan on brewing next:

April Fools Day: Citrus Wheat or Bavarian Dunkleweizen
Mid-Late April: Espresso stout or Kona Koffee Porter
May: Pale Ale #2
June: ????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply