Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > New Brewer Full Boil Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
zutmin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
I was always under the impression that Late Extract additions were for people "Not" doing full boils...I think if he is doing full boils that he could add all his extract at once and be done with it....I do late additions, but Im only boiling 2.5-3 gallons at a time...Someone correct me if Im wrong...
Yeah, you may be right on that one. I just started doing full boils recently. I have continued to do late extract additions, but maybe it's not necessary? Guess, I'll do some research and post here when I find the answer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #12
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
I was always under the impression that Late Extract additions were for people "Not" doing full boils...I think if he is doing full boils that he could add all his extract at once and be done with it....I do late additions, but Im only boiling 2.5-3 gallons at a time...Someone correct me if Im wrong...
No reason to correct you, as you are already correct. Plus, since this is the OP's first brew, it's best to just keep it simple.

Add your extract, stir in VERY well, and boil away. You can avoid boilover by controlling your fire, or you can skim off all the scum that forms on top. It's also handy to keep a spray bottle with some spring or distilled water nearby for a quick fix.

I agree with Yoop's recommendation to have a good six gallons or so in the kettle. However, I would not assume that you will have plenty of room in your fermenter for krausen. If you don't use fermcap-S, you should start off with a blowoff tube.

Have fun!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
zutmin
Recipes 

As TexLaw stated, the blowoff tube is key. Use it during the initial period of vigorous fermentation then you can report back here and thank TexLaw for the good advice
Trust me, you don't want to find out the hard way that you should have used a blowoff tube. I've always used one and always will.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I always steep my grains in the wort kettle at full volume (about 6.25 gallons). I'd never heard of steeping in a smaller volume of water unless you weren't doing a full boil anyway.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zutmin
As TexLaw stated, the blowoff tube is key. Use it during the initial period of vigorous fermentation then you can report back here and thank TexLaw for the good advice
Trust me, you don't want to find out the hard way that you should have used a blowoff tube. I've always used one and always will.

Sounds good...I took an extra cheapo fermentation lock and removed the top portion of it so I can fit a blowoff tube over it. The end will go into a 64oz growler I have with some water/sanitizer for the initial fermentation. After it settles down I'll add my other unbastardized(new word?) fermentation lock for the remainder.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
Aclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the word is non-bastardized. Not un-bastardized. Seems better.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Default Late Extract Addition

After reading some posts on here, I think I will try some late extract addition to keep the color of my beer lighter. The suggestions seem to be to add half of the LME at the beginning of the boil, and boil the other half for only 20 minutes. Anyone have any success with this method, or think its bunch of crap? This seems like a pretty simple way to improve the look of my beer, but how does it effect taste?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4637 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Well, it works great for 2.5-3 gallons boils. If only affects the taste by increasing your hops utilization, so the beer has more bittering than the "regular" way.

If you do a full boil though, there would be no advantage I can think of to adding the extract late. Your sg would be right in there, as if you were doing a late extract addition.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Default Brew Day a Success!

Thanks to all who commented on this thread, I really appreciate all the expert advice! I brewed my first batch yesterday afternoon and it went off almost perfectly (probably due to fanatical planning). This morning, the airlock was bubbling away and I had a good layer of krausen on top.

The only problem I ran into was that with my 6.5gal of water plus the 6.5# of liquid extract, I was at the brim of my 7gal turkey fryer pot . It could have easily boiled over at that level so i took out about 3/4 gal of wort thinking I could always add it back in later.

Turns out I hardly lost any volume during the boil and just left the extra out...so hopefully my ale doesn't come out too light. Aside from that little mishap, everything went well and I think I'll have a great brew in a few weeks. Next time instead of 5g in the kettle and 1.5 for the steeping grains, I'll just do 4.5gal in the kettle. Anyone else ever had that happen?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #20
Skipster
Recipes 

Did you use the late add method for the LME? I am interested to know if the full boil stops the LME from caramelizing (turning a red tint). I have always added late, full boil or not, just curious how yours turned out.

Sounds pretty thorough for a first batch. I remember my first batch. I pitched yeast at 100 degrees. Quick fermention.

Quick Reply