Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > need advice, Carbonated out of the secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
Ever wonder why all of the priming calculators out there ask for the temperature of the beer? This residual carbonation is why. The colder the beer, the more CO2 it can/will have already dissolved, which can be considerable. I doubt it would be enough to cause bombs, but it could certainly cause over/under carbonation.
I know there's been lots of arguments about this, but I go by this, the temp AT the time of bottling. Not the temp it was fermented at, although most of the time that is the same thing in my house.

Most of the time with kit beers the 4.5-5 ounces of priming sugar included with it is set up to produce 2-2.5 volumes of co2, at around 70 degrees anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply