Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Nearly 16 year Old Can of Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
bkl63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Nearly 16 year Old Can of Extract

In a Craigs List purchase of some equipment, (6 Gal Carboy, some thermometers, books, Hydrometer, and a cool Termometor holder) I found a can of Mountmeiick Light Lager. This can was dated 5/96 on the bottom. The yeast pack was gone but the can was in good shape. So I decided to "Brew" it, calling is a "CL Honey Lager" in Beersmith as I used the can and a Couple Pounds of honey and some Corn Suger to up it to a 5 gallon brew from the 3.6 gal. recipe.

Today I set up the kettle and opened the can. The extract smelled and tasted fine, just way, way, did I saw way?? darker than a Light Lager kit should be. I scaled the recipe up from the 3.6 gallon to a 5 gallon recipe below...

4 lbs Mountleiick Light Lager
2 lbs Clover Honey
5.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Boiled above 30 min.
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 17.0 mins)
1.00 oz Cascade [8.90 %] - Boil 2.0 min
1.00 oz Saaz [2.60 %] - Boil 2.0 min

Cooled it in from 212° to 65° in 12 mins. SG was 1.045

Used a WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast (with no starter) to take advanatge of the 60° constant temperature of my downstairs to Ferment and Lager condition. Tasted fine when I sampled the spample taken for the SG, will be a little over a month before I call it done. Will be a $12.00/recipe when said and done. I'm actually looking forward to this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I'd like to know how that turns out too. I've read that as LME ages (beyond it's use by date) it darkens. Maybe try it out on someone you don't like quite so much first.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I (and who am I?) would try it if I were in a "what the heck" mode.. But "today" I would use it in place of molasses in my beer bread and muffins.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I was in one of those what the heck modes today… It's been playing on my mind since I got the Craigs List stuff a couple weeks back. I found a recipe in Homebrew Favorites (the Book was also in the Craigslist buy) which used the Mountmellic Light Lager (was a contest place winner) and modified it a bit for my tastes. Small investment of yeast and hops and had the honey, just a month of time sitting in the corner doing it's magic.

It had a decent taste from the can and also after the boil, I'm expecting it to be very drinkable, with maybe some molasses/carmel tastes beyond what a fresh kit would have given.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
theshoe82
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkl63 View Post
I was in one of those what the heck modes today… It's been playing on my mind since I got the Craigs List stuff a couple weeks back. I found a recipe in Homebrew Favorites (the Book was also in the Craigslist buy) which used the Mountmellic Light Lager (was a contest place winner) and modified it a bit for my tastes. Small investment of yeast and hops and had the honey, just a month of time sitting in the corner doing it's magic.

It had a decent taste from the can and also after the boil, I'm expecting it to be very drinkable, with maybe some molasses/carmel tastes beyond what a fresh kit would have given.
It will be interesting to see how the final product tastes. I suspect it will be fine. If you were doing a really light beer you may have noticed some off flavors, but since you have a good amount of honey in there I imagine it will be good.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default It's kind of funny...

But I've read many post about using old Extract, maybe most were not 16 years old, but in every case, the people were happy with the results. ON the flip side, I have seen many posts using fresh ingredients where the flip side occured. Also in every post, there were people saying to toss the old extract. I would say in every case… Just Brew it!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's Fermenting Away, took a bit over 24 hours before the Airlock showed some bubbles.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2210 Times on 1926 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

My 2nd brew was with a 2 year old cooper's OS lager can. It became my Summer Ale,although I should've named it cougaratordue to the color & flavor. It was a lot like a Salvator doppel bock. Pics in my gallery.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
ronclark
Constant Brewer

Recipes 

I was a bit nervous using an outdated can that was about 6 months over. It turned out to be a great base for one of my favorite brews so far. 16 years would definitely be pushing it for me. Good choice adding hops though. I'd like to hear how this one ends up as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
bkl63
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I didn't notice the date on the bottom until "Brew Day" so I already had everything ready to go and went for it. Adding hops would be given, especially makig it a 5 gallon batch even were it new, but the the hops will have mellowed considerably over the years.

It's a given to be way too dark for the style, but it's smelling good and doing its thing. Still probably a month or more away from giving up a nice cold one. It's my first lager attempt and a "Frankenbrew" for sure. There was also a can of John McCann's Irish Oatmeal in the Craigs List buy. I thought about using that too in the recipe. Would have required some malted grains and a mash after pre cooking the oatmeal so I said no.

Quick Reply