Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB Three Hearted - gravity way off?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Kraftwerk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default NB Three Hearted - gravity way off?

This recipe calls for 1lb Caramel 40 steeped under 170ºF for 20 minutes and 9.15lbs gold extract. Its expected OG is 1.064.

Beer Alchemy expects 1.073

I got 1.080

Is this possible?

FWIW I took the sample at pitching temp of 78ºF, after it had 4 hours to settle in the fermentor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Did you mix up the word really, really (like with a paint mixer attachment on your drill) well before taking that reading? If not go with the OG given on the sheet. The chances are that your got a "wort heavy" portion of the brew for your gravity reading.

If you did a full boil, disregard everything I said above.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Kraftwerk

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Did you mix up the word really, really (like with a paint mixer attachment on your drill) well before taking that reading? If not go with the OG given on the sheet. The chances are that your got a "wort heavy" portion of the brew for your gravity reading.

If you did a full boil, disregard everything I said above.
I did a 3 gal boil, topped off to 5. Shook the carboy vigorously to aerate but didn't mix as you described. I'll take a reading tonight (3 days after brew) to try to make some sense of it.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When doing extracts the biggest cause of OG variance is the final volume. That is of course assuming you fully mixed the wort. The extract has a finite number of sugars and the steeping grains should be pretty much negligible. My guess is the recipe calls for 5.25gallons and you only topped up to 5?

Either way, nothing you can do about it now. And it shouldn't make a different at all.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Kraftwerk

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
When doing extracts the biggest cause of OG variance is the final volume. That is of course assuming you fully mixed the wort. The extract has a finite number of sugars and the steeping grains should be pretty much negligible. My guess is the recipe calls for 5.25gallons and you only topped up to 5?

Either way, nothing you can do about it now. And it shouldn't make a different at all.
The recipe calls for 5 gal. I'm not worried about it, after all it's only my second batch. It's got lots of hops so it will probably be tasty either way. The thing that puzzles me is that I had a similar result with my first batch, another NB 5gal extract kit. That recipe called for OG 1.050, beer alchemy said 1.059, and that's what I got from my first reading.

Quick Reply