Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB smashing pumpkin question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Meatfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NB smashing pumpkin question

Hello,

I am going to try my first pumpkin ale and went with the NB extract kit. They recommended that i get an extra 3lb of grain and mix that in with the kit grains and pumpkin flesh.

My questions are, do I just add everything to the bag (flesh, kit grain, and extra grain) and steep for an hour at 152? (also how much pumpkin skin?)

Also do I add the actual pumpkin meat to the boil and how much and at which point in the boil?

I feel like I am hopelessly lost here, can somebody help me and set me in the right direction. I have only ever done 5 gal extract kits, and this seems like a step beyond that.

Thanks for your help!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
fwooten
Recipes 

I ordered this kit the other day and am looking forward to it. I wasn't aware of these recommendations they made... Kinda sucks.

Anyway, I brewed a brewers best spiced pumpkin porter ( or something like that) like 3 weeks ago. It had steeping grains and a spice pack. I only added half the pack of spices (at about 5 minutes left in boil) because that's what everyone here recommended. I also got a can of unspiced pumpkin puree which I baked for 30 minutes with some spices on top and added to the boil at the 15 minute mark. I just dumped it in because it would have just seeped out of any bag I had. I added Irish moss and did a secondary. I lost about .5 gallons. It's super clear, however it has a vegetablyish taste, so ill probably add pumpkin a different way next time.

I've read tons of methods for brewing with pumpkin, so i'd just experiment with whatever you feel would be easiest.

For this one I'm going to bake some fresh pumpkin(cubed) with spices and add it in a grain bag while steeping the grains. Atleast that's what I plan on right now...you don't really get much flavor from the pumpkin itself, so don't stress about it, but who wants a pumpkin beer without pumpkin!?

There is a recipe on here for thunderstruck pumpkin that I've referred to a couple times and that may help you too.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thun...ersions-26699/

Have fun! It'll be delicious.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

the extra grain it to turn the kit into a partial mash for mashing the pumpkin.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Phillypat79
Recipes 

Northern Brewer has posted a video for both the extract and all grain versions on their website under the connect button:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/

Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Meatfoot
Recipes 

Just what I was looking for!!! Ill be brewing this tomorrow, Thank you!!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Wine2Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just brewed this last night, kept to the directions, but after reading the feedback on their site, added and extra tsp of pumpkin pie spice at flameout. Looks good, smells great so far, fingers crossed.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
ericj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this last night. i just followed the video on their site as far as incorporating the real pumpkin into the mash. I thought the spice packet they supplied was a bit too strong on the cloves for my tastes so i substituted a homemade "pumpkin pie" spice mix. As of this morning it is bubbling away nicely suuuuper pumped for this pumpkin ale

Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Meatfoot
Recipes 

After reading a few things about the spices, I think ill try adding a little bit more. Most people say the spice was not enough and recorded adding another 1/2 - 1 tsp of pumpkin spice.

Another question, this is my first time using liquid yeast. When the kit arrived, the activator pack was already kinda inflated and almost impossible to locate anything inside the bag because of the inflation. I couldn't smack it for fear of popping the entire bag. Is my yeast still good? I'm looking to avoid a starter, I don't have any equipment for it and my time is running a little short. Should I just head to the LHBS and pickup dry yeast or use the liquid that I have?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
ericj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sounds like your smack pack was smacked. i would contact NB about it. im sure they would either reimburse you or send out a new yeast packet. their customer service is pretty good i have had missing items from kits etc a few times and they usually ship out a replacement right away.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From what I have been doing with all my NB kits just follow their instructions for the boil and and hop additions. All of my extracts have been from NB and so far they are great. I also recommend doing a starter and using oxygen with an aeration stone. I had the blow off tube on for 3 days and its still bubbling away like crazy. I am curious about adding more pumpkin spice because I love pumpkin. Anyone tried adding more spice?

Quick Reply