Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB raspberry wheat ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I would add it to the secondary in a bag. Be prepared for a higher ABV and you might want to consider racking to a tertiary to ensure the flavors meld together well, and that the fermentation completes. These are only my suggestions, I'm sure others might have a different opinion. Fruit wheat beers are tasty, I'm working on a recipe for one with strawberries for the wife.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
AlterCow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
I would add it to the secondary in a bag. Be prepared for a higher ABV and you might want to consider racking to a tertiary to ensure the flavors meld together well, and that the fermentation completes. These are only my suggestions, I'm sure others might have a different opinion. Fruit wheat beers are tasty, I'm working on a recipe for one with strawberries for the wife.
Ok, so secondary fermentation add the raspberries, but siphon to a third fermentation without the bagged fruit after x-days. What rule of thumb do you use on bottling after the third racking?

A higher ABV is always welcomed in my brews!

Extract Exercises
Primary: Amber-Weiss ?%ABV
Aging: Dark Amber Ale 3%ABV, and Sweet IPA 6.74%ABV.
Consumed: Irish Stout 4-5%ABV, All Malt Amber 6%ABV, Porter ?%ABV, Dead Guy Ale Clone ?%ABV
Up Next: Smoked Chocolate Milk Stout

Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 AM   #13
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So how do you add the raspberries? Toss them in a muslin bag? Or do you crush or steep them then add to secondary? Will a higher ABV in a wheat beer be too overpowering?

Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
abbot555
Recipes 

You can add them during the end of the boil. Well not boil but steep at 150-180 for 10-15 min. Then secondary ferment to get away from all the trub.

Or you can add them to the secondary too. I have not tried this yet tho.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In regards to the artificial raspberry flavoring, do I need to sanitize it prior to adding it to my bottling bucket? or is it coming from a sealing vial good enough?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #16
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ill take a picture of it and post it

Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here it is:

It does not have a seal on it. not sure if that matters or not

Old 03-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
AlterCow
Recipes 

I doubt the prepackaged flavoring needs any more work done to it before it goes in the beer. Did you purchsae that through Rebel Brewer?

Extract Exercises
Consumed: Irish Stout 4-5%ABV, All Malt Amber 6%ABV, Porter ?%ABV, Dead Guy Ale Clone ?%ABV

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #19
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 47

There are many different ways of doing it. You can place the fruit into a muslin bag, then crush them. An easy way to do this, is if you use an ale pale instead of a carboy. You can crush them into the bucket then siphon the beer from the primary onto the fruit in the secondary. That way juices that are crushed are already in the bucket without needing to worry about pouring them in, etc. After the second fermentation has completed you siphon into your tertiary and do not add the fruit. This is why the bag comes in handy.

As mentioned, some people do add fruit after boil but depending on how much fruit you use, you don't want to have an overly high gravity where the yeast can't even break down the fruit effectively.

You can add to the tertiary and bottle as if you normally would, thinking of your tertiary as your secondary at this point. The only thing, is that fruit tends to lend "hotness" to the beer so it might need to age a bit. Just do what you normally would...tasting and adjusting accordingly. Hope this helped some. Also keep in mind there are lots of ways to do this and no real "correct" way so feel free to experiment.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #20
AlterCow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
There are many different ways of doing it. You can place the fruit into a muslin bag, then crush them. An easy way to do this, is if you use an ale pale instead of a carboy. You can crush them into the bucket then siphon the beer from the primary onto the fruit in the secondary. That way juices that are crushed are already in the bucket without needing to worry about pouring them in, etc. After the second fermentation has completed you siphon into your tertiary and do not add the fruit. This is why the bag comes in handy.

As mentioned, some people do add fruit after boil but depending on how much fruit you use, you don't want to have an overly high gravity where the yeast can't even break down the fruit effectively.

You can add to the tertiary and bottle as if you normally would, thinking of your tertiary as your secondary at this point. The only thing, is that fruit tends to lend "hotness" to the beer so it might need to age a bit. Just do what you normally would...tasting and adjusting accordingly. Hope this helped some. Also keep in mind there are lots of ways to do this and no real "correct" way so feel free to experiment.
GREAT INFO! Thank you! I am sure many of us are going to try this. I know what I am now doing for my May brews.

Extract Exercises

Quick Reply