Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB Phat Tyre Extract w/ New Belgium Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #21
Chello
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just popped open my first extract kit from AHBS using the fat tire wyeast. Its a very good beer, not really what i was expecting but good non the less, but like i said previously i have nothing to compare it with.

I'll probably order that kit again, especially because i made sure to wash/save some yeast cake...

"Retail is for suckers."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 04:40 AM   #22
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a lover of Fat Tire Ale for savoring (too often my college age friends don't concentrate on the merry buzz and go straight to schmidt-faced) and have read quite a bit in the past month about brewing so please correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use the existing sediment found at the bottom of a Fat Tire (preferably many) and build a starter from that?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #23
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger48
I am a lover of Fat Tire Ale for savoring (too often my college age friends don't concentrate on the merry buzz and go straight to schmidt-faced) and have read quite a bit in the past month about brewing so please correct me if I'm wrong but can't you use the existing sediment found at the bottom of a Fat Tire (preferably many) and build a starter from that?
I think that this can be done for many styles of beer, but I've heard with belgian beers, the bottling yeast can be different than the fermenting yeast. That's just what I've heard.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 12-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #24
Dycokac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase
I think that this can be done for many styles of beer, but I've heard with belgian beers, the bottling yeast can be different than the fermenting yeast. That's just what I've heard.
I don't remember any sediment in my 22oz bottles... I'm going to have to pay attention the next time I empty one

Old 12-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #25
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Grrrrr....I JUST brewed a fat tire clone from midwest and I didnt know about this special yeast. I wish I did as I would have ordered it to give my brew that extra kick. Man I wish I could go back in time and brew with the real yeast. Oh well, Im sure it will come out very good and ill just RDWHAHB.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:39 AM   #26
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you ordered the kit in the last two months, it came with the Fat Tire yeast. It looked just like any other Wyeast smackpack, but it was labeled, "New Belgium".

Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #27
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed the Fat Tire clone (YooperBrew's recipe) on 12/31. I upped the aroma hops just slightly, other than that I did her recipe exactly. I pitched the Wyeast Fat Tire yeast and had fermentation about 15 hours later. It went like crazy and I had a blowoff tube on for 4-5 days. It was a cold week in Chicago and my pantry gets a little chilly. I had the apt. set to 70 and had the carboy wrapped in a towel and an old hoodie. Temp was roughly 66-68 degrees. Might have dropped a little lower a few times overnight. The tube has since been replaced with an airlock and its now 1/7 and its still bubbling every 8 seconds or so.

Those that have used the Fat Tire yeast, how long have your fermentations gone?

Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine went for about four days. I don't think I had adequate aeration though. My final attenatuation was about 67%. Let us know how it turns out. I've had mine the 2º for about two weeks now. I'll bottle next weekend.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #29
Money Pit Home Brew
Recipes 

I brewed this kit back in November and I had good/active fermintation for about 5 days at 66f. I let it sit 4 weeks in the bottle before the first sample. It was good (not great), but for some reason there was very little head and low carbonation. I let it go another two weeks and the beer has come around.

At 6 weeks this is the best kit I've brewed!!! Very balanced and super clean.

I wonder if this yeast is a little slower than most. Most of my kits have finished the active fermination in 3 days or less and are fully bottle conditioned in 3-4 weeks.

The smack pack never swelled up on this yeast either and the fermintation took longer than most to get going (It went a good 12 - 24 hours before it took off). But...all that said...this was been a great kit. I only have a few left and will be sad to see it gone!

Primary: air
Secondary: air

Conditioning: Chris Colby's PM ESB, English Bitter with all the wrong hops, Kolsh

Drinking: NB Fat Tire Clone, English Pale, California Common, and NB Tongue Splitter

Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #30
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase
If you ordered the kit in the last two months, it came with the Fat Tire yeast. It looked just like any other Wyeast smackpack, but it was labeled, "New Belgium".
Looks like I got gypped then. I ordered my kit in the middle of Dec. Oh well, its not that big a deal anyways. It will still be a good brew.

Quick Reply