Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > NB Extra Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Scot_chale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

very cool- thanks for the input guys. i'm ordering my ingredients this week so i'll do a little more digging and let you all know what I decide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
dcocch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could add some corn sugar late in the boil to help add some dryness. Summit EPA is one of my favorite beers (which I have family bring to Alabama when they visit!).

I am interested to see how your final recipe comes out compared to summit!

Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am going to follow the hop recommendations previously stated, I'm going to add 1lb of DME at 20 minutes, and go with northern brewer's specialty grain bill. I'm also going to add 1/3 of the malt at the beginning, and the rest at the last 20 minutes. I've had a lot of problems with color lately, and I think this will solve that problem. Wyeast 1056 will be used, smack pack style. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm making yeast starters yet, but that's next on my agenda. I was going to brew it 2 weeks from now, but the Irish Red is currently sold out, so i'm moving this up to this sunday. Either way, I think it's going to be a good beer. We have it for sale in 6 packs, and on tap in town, so I'll make sure my taste buds are good and educated on it for when mine is done. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just checked and the clone recipe and NB recipe use the same grain bill, so that's cool. The only thing i'm doing different is using gold malt syrup instead of pale and a full pound of DME instead of half.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed on 2/10 without any problems. I changed the hop additions to the previously stated clone. temperature was perfect for pitching and the wyeast 1056 was as inflated as it can get. 12 hours and lots of air lock activity. My question now is with the 1.5oz Cascade that i'm going to dry hop with, should I add it right away at secondary? wait a couple weeks? I want it in secondary for 4 weeks either way, I'm just not sure when I should dry hop. Any suggestions?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot_chale
Brewed on 2/10 without any problems. I changed the hop additions to the previously stated clone. temperature was perfect for pitching and the wyeast 1056 was as inflated as it can get. 12 hours and lots of air lock activity. My question now is with the 1.5oz Cascade that i'm going to dry hop with, should I add it right away at secondary? wait a couple weeks? I want it in secondary for 4 weeks either way, I'm just not sure when I should dry hop. Any suggestions?
I dry hop for 7 days. I would put it in the last week of your secondary.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I tested the gravity after 4 and 6 days and it was 1.010 consistently. It puts me at 6%abv. I racked it and dry hopped right away and will bottle after 8 days. The taste and color are perfect, and the aroma was right, but not as pungent as I'm hoping for- which dry hopping should fix. I haven't had that high of an alcohol content happen as quickly before, but the health of the yeast and temperature of the wort probably had something to do with it. Like I say, I'm gonna bottle it this sunday and see how it turns out. It seems wreckless to me to only do 1 week primary and 1 week secondary, but it tastes good! so if a great recipe has been discovered with a short fermentation period, I'd say that's a good problem.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

keep us poste on how it turns out.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled on 2/24. Only got 1 case+7 bottles. Lots of trub in primary, and dry hopping seemed to eat a lot of volume. came out right around 3 gallons. I was kinda bummed out, but abv is at 6.02% and it looked, smelled, and tasted great. Can anyone explain why I could be having volume loss? This has happened more than once, but then I also bottled an Irish red on 2/25 that I was 3 bottles shy of 2 cases. Carbonating is underway with the summit clone though, and i will keep you posted on tasting notes after carbonating, and again after cold conditioning. Cheers.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Scot_chale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

just started cold conditioning yesterday. The aroma is huge, the color is just what I was aiming for, head retention is good, and the flavor is right on. Changing the bittering hop to horizon was the ticket for sure. The only thing I'd change is go from 1 week primary to 2 weeks. I thought since it was done fermenting that it was ready to rack, but if I had at least cold crashed the fermenter or let it sit another week I would have had better volume retention. I only got 31 12oz bottles out of the batch. Also, I have little experience dry hopping, and so I just pitched them directly into secondary without a sack and it was a hop cake on top of the beer for the week that it sat in there. It seemed like that ate up some volume too. I'll use a hop sack when dry hopping from now on, and give every batch 2 weeks in primary or cold crash the fermenter. I'll have a proper tasting review after a couple weeks of cold conditioning.

Quick Reply