The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > My Next Brew - Northern Brewer - Patersbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #21
Blinebuddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have brewed this kit twice now and every single one of the beers I produced from it was amazing! the finishing out flavor is insane, totally a sour apple sweet ripe pear mending. bottled or kegged- its good either way( I didn't add the table sugar to the priming solution, I will this next go around). I am ordering two more kits of this because of the demand I have from friends and family is crazy. now I can see why the monks dont like to let this stuff out, they wouldn't ever get to drink any of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #22
DrMaddVibe
Recipes 

I bottled a 2nd round of this last night.

I can't wait again.

So...what did YOU think about it?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm wondering if this would work with Safbrew T-58, or if the flavor really is dependent on the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity? I want to try something like this, but I don't have 3787, and I do have a cake of T-58 in the house. T-58 definitely gives some spicy phenolics, and the original beer sounds delicious.

Anyone tried the substitution?

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #24
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will be kegging my Patersbier next week. Cant wait!

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
DrMaddVibe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
I'm wondering if this would work with Safbrew T-58, or if the flavor really is dependent on the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity? I want to try something like this, but I don't have 3787, and I do have a cake of T-58 in the house. T-58 definitely gives some spicy phenolics, and the original beer sounds delicious.

Anyone tried the substitution?

No, but what harm is there in trying it?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #26
Schwoopty
Recipes 

Did anyone use pellets for this recipe or did you guys all use whole hops? I just checked out their promash link and they show leaf hops as their addition.

If you did use pellets, did you reduce your hop additions?

On Deck - Celebration Ale Clone
Primary - Itchy Nut Brown Ale
Kegged - S&S Kolsch, Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
Bottled - Irish Draught Ale, Chocolate Cinnamon Stout, Alaskan Amber Clone

Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #27
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My dad brewed this and I liked it. His was overcarb'd, but once I let it sit for a few minutes it was quite good.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 AM   #28
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaddVibe View Post
No, but what harm is there in trying it?
Well, it's funny you should say that. I went ahead and made this beer on Sunday. I had ordered and pre-paid for the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast from my LHBS (they have a website), as well as the grains to be pre-crushed.

When I picked up my order on Saturday, I was informed that they actually didn't have the yeast in stock, and it was going to be Wednesday (tomorrow) before it was going to arrive. Of course, with the holiday upon us, I wasn't going to be able to brew on Wednesday, and the grains were already crushed, so I was faced with the only option to pitch onto the Safbrew T-58 yeast cake.

Well, here it is Tuesday, and the Safbrew is bubbling away like an old-school chemlab. I don't know exactly how similar to the original recipe this will taste, but I will certainly be able to find out, since I will now have two batches in the pipeline of the same grainbill, the only difference being the yeast.

Side-by-side yeast comparisons For The Win!
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #29
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
Well, it's funny you should say that. I went ahead and made this beer on Sunday. I had ordered and pre-paid for the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast from my LHBS (they have a website), as well as the grains to be pre-crushed.

When I picked up my order on Saturday, I was informed that they actually didn't have the yeast in stock, and it was going to be Wednesday (tomorrow) before it was going to arrive. Of course, with the holiday upon us, I wasn't going to be able to brew on Wednesday, and the grains were already crushed, so I was faced with the only option to pitch onto the Safbrew T-58 yeast cake.

Well, here it is Tuesday, and the Safbrew is bubbling away like an old-school chemlab. I don't know exactly how similar to the original recipe this will taste, but I will certainly be able to find out, since I will now have two batches in the pipeline of the same grainbill, the only difference being the yeast.

Side-by-side yeast comparisons For The Win!
I've brewed a beer with t58 and I've brewed patersbier with the trappist high gravity...I'm interested in your results!
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #30
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, I think I have my new "go to" session beer! I did an extract Patersbier last month that I just tapped and I'm loving it. Not very complex but just enough Belgian esters to make what would otherwise be a bland light ale interesting. On the first sip it was kinda like "OK, that's not bad" but halfway through I was already thinking about getting another. Extremely drinkable and I ended up having 3 on a work night which is out of character for me... The wife was equally happy with it and happy that she could drink a full one without falling asleep 10 minutes later, LOL (most of my beers are bit "bigger".) I have been wondering what it might be like with a small coriander or other spice addition though... This one was primaried for 4 weeks and kegged this past weekend.

-Craig

Quick Reply