Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > My first try...Will it be any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
jamesjoystick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default My first try...Will it be any good?

Ok, I bought Cooper's Stout extract.
I Boiled like 6 litres of water, and then put the extract on it, and about 300-400 g of sugar. Then I boiled it with lower temperature so it didnt boil, but the extract and sugar melted, I did this like 10 minutes, all the time stirring it.

Then I tried to colden the stuff very quickly, I used running cold water on my sink (no water to the cettle ofcourse). It went to 28 celsius like in 15 minutes.

Then poured the mixture to my plastic container and filled it with water to 11 litres. (Stuff was then about 23-24 celsius) Stirred heavily and added the yeast, and stirred some more.

Closed the container tightly and filled the waterlock (is that the right word?) half.

On the next day everything seemed fine and the yeast seemed to work nicely, as I witness alot of bubbly action going on in the waterlock. Now it has gone 6 days and the bubbles are like 1 in a minute or something, should I start bottling it?

I was wondering, will it be ok as I used the extract to almost only half of water? The idea was to make abit stronger taste and more alcolohol using less sugar.
As I read this forum I realize that maybe even the 300-400g of sugar is a bad thing for the beer's taste, but too late to fix that. The extract recommened 1 kg to 20 litres of water...

Any other ideas, suggestions, and notes would be very helpful and im thankful for any information!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm not sure about the extract side of things, I use grain.

But 6 days I way to early to bottle in my opinion.
Do you have an hydrometer?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
jamesjoystick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Not yet, im buying one today.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Then later today you'll know if it's done.

6 days is still too early to bottle though. imo.
But it's your beer.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #5
jamesjoystick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah ill definetaly measure it later today, and probably leave it for few days still. Cheers!

Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

At least TWO weeks before bottling. That is the absolute minimum.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What were the exact directions per the kit? I mean, how much malt extract is in the can and how much sugar are you supposed to add for 5 gallons/20L? And you only used 11L correct?

I am an extract brewer, but I use steeping grains, non-canned extracts (usually DME), real hops (not hopped extract), and recipes from books and whatnot so I don't use the canned kits that say 'add water and sugar'.

If you can provide some more details, we could probably tell you more what to expect out of using the one can to 11L as opposed to 20L. I'm guessing it's not going to hurt that much as most of those canned kits IMO call for too little malt/too much sugar. So, using 1 can of malt with half the water MIGHT actually be better if you cut back on the sugar at the same time...

Can't tell though without more details.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's some general info I found on a site regarding cooper's kits. This is if you make 5 gallons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper's Site
Coopers Beer Kits w/yeast and hops - From Australia's only remaining family owned brewery. Already hopped. All you need is water and brewing sugar.
Note: These kits contain yeast and hops, but require additional malt or sugar. You may either add 1-2 lbs of sugar, or 2-3 lbs of unhopped malt extract (not included). When made with sugar, beer kits will make a beer that is characterized as being high in alcohol and thin in body and mouthfeel. They tend to ferment very quickly, and will reach a state of maturity with a couple of weeks. If 3.3 lbs (standard can) of unhopped malt extract is used, the beer will have more body, more mouthfeel and more “beer” flavor. It will also take a bit longer to ferment and mature. This type of production is mostly favored by homebrewing hobbyists and “microbrewery” fans. Most use light malt. See the bottom of this page for additional required ingredients.
So, now my guess is this: If the original can is 3.3lb. and you can either add 2lb. sugar or another 3.3lb. of extract to get 5 gallons of beer if following the directions exactly, then using 1 can to 11L normally wouldn't hurt much (1 can to 2.5 gal = 2 can to 5 gal) at all. So, basically all you did was doubled the malt, which is what they suggest for a fuller, better beer anyway.

However, you also added 400g (roughly 1lb.) sugar, so that is also going to bump up the alcohol content...

The other thing to consider is normally Coopers directions say "3.3lb hopped extract and 3.3lb un-hopped for a fuller, better beer". Well, since you are just using the hopped extract can to less water, you are going to get a hoppier beer. For a stout, I'm not sure how good this is, but it can't be as bad as too much sugar making your 'beer' into 'cider'.

All in all, I would say you might very well be OK on this one. The 1lb. sugar might be a little much for 2.5 gallons of beer, but with the malt concentration you have, you may be OK? It may very well be BETTER that you did this than follow exactly and add a ton of sugar to get 5 gallons.

Next time you can probably skip the sugar all together though...

Old 01-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On the other topic, you will make much better beer if you start to prctice patience as well. Once you take your hydro reading and it shows its 'finished' you should transfer to a secondary for 2 weeks to allow to clear. Then you should bottle and let sit 3 weeks. (These are general rules of thumb)

I know you are anxious to drink it, but it will be much better after this 1-2-3 (6 week) process than 6 days primary, then bottle, then drink in one week. I promise you that...

Old 01-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A little more FYI:

I ran 3.75lb. Extract (Cooper Can volume I believe) and 1lb. table sugar in a 2.9 Gallon batch (11L) and came up with an OG of 1.063. Depending on yeast attenuation (how well it ferments), this should get you around 6.1% ABV.

Based on that, it should definitely be a somewhat drinkable stout. The only thing up in the air is the hops bitterness. Like I discussed earlier, the can is pre-hopped and supposed to be used in 5 gallons with either sugar or unhopped extract. So, lets assume there was 1oz. of hops in there for 5 gallons. Well, now you just added 1oz. hops to 3 gallons. It will definitely be more bitter than Cooper's had planned when developing the kit.

Still drinkable? More than likely...

Quick Reply