My first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Hey All, I'm am getting antsy to brew again while waiting for my Amarillo Simcoe IPA to finish up... think I'm gonna try my hand at brewing a simple dry stout. What do y'all think of this recipe; I'd appreciate any input

5gal
OG 1.049
FG 1.010

3# Muntons plain extra light DME
3.3# Muntons Extra Light LME (late boil)

0.5# Caramel 60
0.5# Flaked Oats
0.5# Roasted Barley
0.25# Choc Malt

1oz EKG @ 60min
1oz EKG @ 30min

WLP007 (Dry English)

Whirlfloc @ 15min
1/2 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient @ 15min

If its your first stout you'd be better off with a kit, to see how they're supposed to come out.

I like your recipe. Personally, I prefer to use "debittered black" malt in place of roasted barley. I think it results in a slightly less harsh roastiness. Just my opinion though... I am sure there are plenty of stout lovers that will say that Belgian malts have no place in a stout, but I think that it just makes a more drinkable finished product.

Thanks Seth! Would you recommend using the same amount of debittered black; half pound? Also, will only 0.25# of chocolate malt make a perceivable difference in the finished beer?

You can sub de-bittered black malt for roasted barley in roughly similar proportions. Whichever one you choose to use should give good results. I think that the 0.25 pound of chocolate malt will be sufficient also, but it really all depends on what you are trying to do with the recipe. If you are curious about some of the differences that changing ingredients makes, then you should try plugging your recipe into brewing software and see what happens when you change things up.

Some popular sources for brewing software are beersmith, hopville.com, and brewersfriend.com

Whats the reason for the yeast nutrient? Your OG is relatively low, so I would think it wouldn't be needed. On the other hand, I guess it can't really hurt. The only time I've used yeast nutrient is when making mead, however I have seen people use it for really high gravity beers.

Re: brewing software, I have used beersmith for years and it has been very helpful and quite accurate. I would recommend it. Good luck with this recipe, I loves me a good stout!

Whats the reason for the yeast nutrient? Your OG is relatively low, so I would think it wouldn't be needed. On the other hand, I guess it can't really hurt. The only time I've used yeast nutrient is when making mead, however I have seen people use it for really high gravity beers.

Cheap insurance I guess. I used it with my last two batches (1 high OG and 1 moderate OG) and really liked the results; faster, more vigorous ferment, lower FG plus made some great tasting beer. Probably a coincidence, but I'll stick with whats working for the moment.

Back