Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   My first departure from Kit Brewing...this is what i've come up with (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/my-first-departure-kit-brewing-what-ive-come-up-358569/)

Run_RMC 10-03-2012 07:20 PM

My first departure from Kit Brewing...this is what i've come up with
 
First of all-this forum is amazing and i've learned so much from it that i got the confidence to curate my own beer (this is my 3rd batch ever). That being said, who knows if i'm actually getting smarter.

I'm looking for for an APA with a bit more hop power thanks to some citra/cascade dry hopping.

4 oz 60L Crystal (steeping)
3.3lbs Breiss Golden LME
3.3lbs Breiss Light LME
1 lb Light DME (last 15 of boil)
4 oz MaltoDextrin

1 tsp Irish Moss (15 Minutes)

1 oz Centennial (60 Min)
.5 oz Cascade (15 Minutes)
.5 oz Citra (2 Minutes)
1 oz Cascade (1 Minute)
.5 oz Citra + .5 oz Cascade for Dry Hop

FYI My preboil volume will only be 4 gallons due to pot size and stove top brewing. Also i'm planning on using 1056 or maybe try out 1072 for the first time.

I'd like to know what people think-especially regarding if i'm overhopping this beer. Thanks again to the forums for giving me faith to try my hand at recipe creation.

J187 10-03-2012 08:16 PM

As to whether you are smarter or not, I'm torn... on one hand, you used the word "curate" - so that tends to suggest you are getting smarter, on the other hand, you are presumably a Yankee fan, so... all I'll say is life comes in balance :wink:

Quick question - what is 1072?

Also, do you have any stats on this recipe? IBUs, SRM, OG, EFG? I don't have my beersmith on this comp

Also - isn't Briess Gold and Briess light the same thing? Don't they only have "golden light" LME?

zzARzz 10-03-2012 08:20 PM

Hi Run RMC,

Welcome to the hobby I liken to becoming a crack addict. In fact, I call my LBS guys my dealers :D.

One of the best tools I've used when I got started making my own recipes was Hopville's Beer Calculus :
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

I don't know if you're already familiar with it, but it's free and allows you to play around with recipes in a particular style so you can get an idea of color, IBUs, gravities, etc. I've since been using BeerSmith, which is just a fancier version of Beer Calculus, but still use Beer Calculus from time to time when out and about.

Your recipe looks great, but plugging in your numbers shows your OG to be 1.060, which is at the high end for an APA, and your IBUs to be about 54, which blows past the BJCP guidelines of 30-45IBUs for that style. I'm not saying you have to be a slave to the numbers, but the end product may be a bit more bitter than you're used to than APAs you've had in the past.

Maybe dial the DME back to 0.5lbs which will give you an OG of 1.055 (and keeps you from having to get into making a starter, but I strongly recommend you start looking into them) and, as for the hops, you could do the 1oz of Centennial at the 30 minute mark which would lower the IBUs to around 44. Still hoppy like you wanted, but not too bitter.

I've used both Wyeast's American Ale (1056) and American Ale II (1272) and like them both. Unless you want to get into additional fining beyond using Irish Moss, though, you may be better off with 1272 since it flocculates a bit more than 1056, resulting in a brighter beer with less work.

Those are my 2 cents, for what they're worth, and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the world's foremost expert on Home Brewing. Welcome to the club and I'll see you around the crack house! :mug:

unionrdr 10-03-2012 08:27 PM

I'd cut out the light LME & use 3lbs of plain DME. Your OG would be about 1.050. & cut the hops to about 3oz for the style. Even my SNPA clone uses only 3oz of cascade,bittering & all. And the maltodextrin wouldn't really be needed. Unless you want a tad sweeter product with creamier mouth feel.

J187 10-03-2012 08:36 PM

I think something that would be helpful to know would be an example of an APA that you have had that was close to hoppy enough for you, but you would like more. If that particular beer comes in at the higher end of BJCP guidelines, then maybe what you are looking for is a hybrid beer style - or an IPA ;), I mean you do say "more hop power", but if you are used to APAs with low hop profile, perhaps more hop power would still fit into those limits, just at the higher end. Also, consider if you are looking for more hop flavor or more bitterness.

J187 10-03-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzARzz (Post 4467053)
Hi Run RMC,

Welcome to the hobby I liken to becoming a crack addict. In fact, I call my LBS guys my dealers :D.

One of the best tools I've used when I got started making my own recipes was Hopville's Beer Calculus :
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

I don't know if you're already familiar with it, but it's free and allows you to play around with recipes in a particular style so you can get an idea of color, IBUs, gravities, etc. I've since been using BeerSmith, which is just a fancier version of Beer Calculus, but still use Beer Calculus from time to time when out and about.

Your recipe looks great, but plugging in your numbers shows your OG to be 1.060, which is at the high end for an APA, and your IBUs to be about 54, which blows past the BJCP guidelines of 30-45IBUs for that style. I'm not saying you have to be a slave to the numbers, but the end product may be a bit more bitter than you're used to than APAs you've had in the past.

Maybe dial the DME back to 0.5lbs which will give you an OG of 1.055 (and keeps you from having to get into making a starter, but I strongly recommend you start looking into them) and, as for the hops, you could do the 1oz of Centennial at the 30 minute mark which would lower the IBUs to around 44. Still hoppy like you wanted, but not too bitter.

I've used both Wyeast's American Ale (1056) and American Ale II (1272) and like them both. Unless you want to get into additional fining beyond using Irish Moss, though, you may be better off with 1272 since it flocculates a bit more than 1056, resulting in a brighter beer with less work.

Those are my 2 cents, for what they're worth, and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the world's foremost expert on Home Brewing. Welcome to the club and I'll see you around the crack house! :mug:


What am I missing? Running this through beersmith, I get 1.056 @ 37.4 IBU the way he originally has it. Using Hopville, I get the same OG - 1.056, but I get 48.6 IBU - but hopville doesn't take into account boil volume, correct?

zzARzz 10-03-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J187 (Post 4467185)
What am I missing? Running this through beersmith, I get 1.056 @ 37.4 IBU the way he originally has it.

Did you change Type to Extract and the equipment profile to a 4g Pot-Mini-BIAB (I think I added this profile myself when I was doing extracts, which may account for some of the variance from a 4-gal Pot-Extract)?

J187 10-03-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzARzz (Post 4467271)
Did you change Type to Extract and the equipment profile to a 4g Pot-Mini-BIAB (I think I added this profile myself when I was doing extracts, which may account for some of the variance from a 4-gal Pot-Extract)?

I used extract and I actually manually put it 5 gallon kettle with a 4 gallon boil, so it would match exactly what he said he was going to do.

I'm only asking because I'm relatively new to beersmith and want to make sure I'm crossing my T's and dotting my i's and I didn't overlook something or not know something about the software.

J187 10-03-2012 09:28 PM

American Pale Ale

Type: Extract Date: 9/26/2012

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:

Boil Size: 4.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot - 5 gallon with 4 gallon boil

End of Boil Volume 3.78 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %


Ingredients

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

1.22 gal New York, NY Water 1 -
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.2 %
6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 84.1 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 28.6 IBUs
1 lbs Light Dry Extract [Boil for 15 min](8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 12.7 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.9 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 8 -
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 1.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Bitterness: 37.4 IBUs

Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 9.0 SRM

Yooper 10-03-2012 09:32 PM

I like the malt bill- except for the malto dextrine. I'd get rid of that. it's a "thickener" and an APA should have plenty of body with the extract and the grains you have listed already. A "thick" pale ale is not a quaffable drink.

I'd probably change the hopping to a more traditional pale ale hopping, like this:

1 oz bittering hops 60 minutes (magnum is good) or to 25-30 IBUs with this addition
.75 ounce flavor hops 15 minutes
.75 ounce aroma hops 5 minutes
Dryhop with 1 ounce.

I'm not a huge citra fan, but others are so I won't criticize that! But I'd definitely use a more traditional schedule with hops of your choice.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.