Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #21
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFratGuy
I was planning on sitting my fermentor on the kitchen table and submerging the the tubing in it. Then I was going to submerge 2-3 feet of the tubing in some sanitized water, to start the syphon. Then dump the water into a bowl and shift the hose over to the 2nd bucket after the brew starts coming out. I'm going to have a friend help so that there are no lose ends.
That will work, or you could get an auto-siphon.

Quote:
Does anyone have and suggestions to minimize disturbance and aeration?
Get a racking cane.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #22
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

either way will be fine. let it sit in the primary for another 5 days, then bottle. or, rack to secondary, let it sit there for 7-10 days, then bottle. i think you would find that racking to secondary and then bottling would lend a better flavor to the beer. a little more maturation time, and get it off the trub in the primary. some people say it doesn't matter, but i prefer to rack to secondary for conditioning.......

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #23
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
That will work, or you could get an auto-siphon....
Yep! Best ten bucks I've spent in a long time!

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #24
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
matter of preference and sanitation. more value than to just "see the fermentation taking place".
OK, I'll bite. What are the other advantages of the glass over plastic for primary? I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative - I'd truly be interested in another perspective!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #25
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
OK, I'll bite. What are the other advantages of the glass over plastic for primary? I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative - I'd truly be interested in another perspective!
I like them because you can see when the kreautsen has fallen, and how much trub you've got down there. You can see this all without opening it up and increasing your risk of infection. If I feel the need to take a sample, I can do so by pulling a little plug, not having to expose the entire top of my beer (or wort) to the open air.

Also some buckets leak so badly that you won't see airlock activity, but I guess that's just luck of the draw.

I personally don't think there's anything at all wrong with a bucket for primary. They are definitely easier to clean....I can touch every inch of it with a cloth, and know it's clean. But when I have both to choose from, I'll use my carboy every time.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #26
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
the advantages are as follows:
1. they are air tight
2. easily cleaned w/ a carboy brush and sanitized
3. do not hold odors
4. you can gauge fermentation

people complain about moving carboys around, bla, bla, bla. i have carboy handles and carriers for mine, and they are a sinch to move. i load them in and out of my fermentation freezer w/ ease, and have never broken one (knock-on-wood). i have no problem if someone wants to use a plastic bucket. i just believe glass is better than plastic.

do you drink your beer out of a plastic Dixie Cup? i'll pass. i prefer a nice, clean pint glass for my brews........

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #27
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ditto all of the above. It's really cool to witness a vigourous, rolling fermentation through the glass. It makes you realize you really have a living, breathing 'thing' there!

Plus, no matter how freakin' careful you are, plastic just scratches too easily, IMHO. And I'm not talking big gouges, but small, thin, barely detectable scratches that can harbor bacteria.

I just noticed one on the inside of my plastic bottling bucket last weekend. And I treat that thing with kid gloves! I only use the soft side of a sponge to clean it with and I let it air dry. Still - there it was - a scratch!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #28
TheFratGuy
Recipes 

Default syphoning

I just wanted to let you all know that I syphoned my first batch into the secondary fermentor (5gal plastic) yesterday afternoon. That was the biggest mess I've made so far. I'm deffinately investing in an auto-syphon and a racking cane before I get a glass carboy or two.

I didn't have a clamp to position the tube in the primary so I attempted to balance the two ends between the buckets. That didn't work to well. So I had my girlfriend hold the one end to the 2nd-ary up in the air even with the primary while I readdjusted the hose in the primary. The hose had sucked up to much air, so I filled the 2nd-ary end with some city water through a funnel, only because that's all I had on hand at the moment. I guess she wasn't paying much attention, because when I told her to quickly lower the tube in to the empty bucket, in order to drain the city water, she lowered it into the half full 2nd-ary. So now I have about a 1/2 cup of city water in with the 2nd-ary.

I'm thinking about making a racking cane out of a half inch diameter pvc pipe or something similar. I've never seen a racking cane before, but I have a good Idea of what I need to make the racking go smother. I'll drill a hole in the side of the pipe right at the bottom and attach a clamp of some sort at the top to position it just above the trub. If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

All in all yesterday, I lost about two - three quarts from spilling and leave an inch or so on the bottom of the primary with the trub. And I not only risked contamination but I also aerated the 2nd-ary a bit. I've been closely watching it, and so far so good, ie no activity.

Thanks again for the help

Old 08-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #29
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

go to www.northernbrewer.com. they have pics of all kinds of equipment.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #30
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I just wanted to let you all know that I syphoned my first batch into the secondary fermentor (5gal plastic) yesterday afternoon. That was the biggest mess I've made so far.
If you think that was fun, wait till you try to bottle. Trying to start a syphon going "the old fashioned way" is just a cluster goof waiting to happen...for a clutz like me anyway.
Get an auto-syphon, and just buy a racking cane...they're only 3 bucks. Stay away from that nasty pvc stuff.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Quick Reply