My beer stopped fermenting...help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
This past Sunday was my first time brewing beer. I've been making wine (kit form) for a couple of years now with good results.

Last Saturday I started a batch of wine. It is fermenting in my plastic fermenter in our laundry room counter, where I normally ferment.

On Sunday, I brewed the Midwest Supplies Black Dog Ale Extract. I have a proper 10.5 gallon SS pot (with drain valve and temp probe), did a full rolling boil on my Dark Star burner and boiled it down to 5 gallons and cooled it quickly with a copper wort chiller.

Since my plastic fermenter is in use and my SS Brewtech Brew Bucket Fermenter hasn't arrived yet, I am fermenting in a glass carboy.

I did the Munton and Fision ale yeast. I aerated the crap out of the cooled wort in the carboy with my drill mounted paddle. I then poured the dry yeast into the carboy followed by the airlock. I shook it slightly to get the yeast down into the wort vs. sitting on the foam on top. I then set it next to my fermenting wine.

Monday, air lock is bubbling like crazy on both the wine and the beer. All good.

Tuesday morning the electric goes out. With record low temps, the house quickly cools down to about 55 degrees. It comes on later and is back up to 69 degrees by Monday evening. Wine is fermenting still (bucket showing 66 degrees) but the beer stopped.

Tonight, the wine is still bubbling the aerator and the bucket is showing 68 degrees, my normal winter fermenting temp in the laundry room. No signs of bubbling of the beer.

I plan to build a fermentation chamber soon to resolve temp issues, so please don't preach to me the benefits of a chamber (I get it). What should I do about the beer? Obviously I had good yeast as it was fermenting very well on Monday. My expectation was to see continued bubbling for the next few days like my wine is doing. What should I do?

My dumb arse did not take an initial gravity reading either. I intended to but some distractions happened at the end of my brew and I forgot.

Do you know what yeast you used? Most ale yeast would be okay at 55*. Besides, during primary ferment, the beer temp is likely several degrees above air temp.

Air lock activity doesn't tell you much really - I ferment in my basement between 62 and 66*. Using Nottingham or S05 I don't expect to see airlock activity past day 2 or 3. Doesn't mean the yeast aren't still working.

I would expect you to see activity return, since the temp of the wort has come back up to 68. Give it a day or so.

Step 1: RDWHAHB (or a commercial brew since you probably don't have any finished homebrew).
Step 2: Take a sample of your wort. I know you didn't take an OG, but you can at least see if you are near finishing.
Step 3: Your yeast was probably alright, but in case the lower temps made it flocculate out, as long as your wort is at a good temp, you can stir it up with a sanitized spoon. Do it only if your sample shows you have a long way to go to finish.
Step 4: repeat step 1.

Latest posts

Back