Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Is my beer shot. Infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4466 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadway View Post
Yooper, on the topic of amount of time to age certain styles of beer, I just read a post of yours where you said you are drinking your IPA's 2 weeks after brewing them. Would this be the same with a double IPA? With, say, a 1.080 OG? Does a high ABV necessitate aging it a bit longer despite the fact that you want the fresh hop flavors and aroma?
Not really. Fermentation temperature control and pitching the proper amount of yeast mean the DIPA won't be "boozy" and off flavors don't need to age out. Once it's clear, it's ready to dryhop and package.

A well made beer simply doesn't need longer than about 3 days after it reaches FG in the fermenter, although no harm may come by leaving it longer. If the beer needs more time for off-flavors to age out, then that's an issue better fixed by fixing mistakes for next time.

Some flavors, like oak, smoke, roast, etc, may take a bit longer to meld well and then more time in the bottle is the fix for that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
BeerKillLogic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have been troubleshooting the issue here and had spoke with someone who knows his brewing science, and suggested this is possibly due to pediococcus damnosus infection. Any thoughts?

Trash the batch?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, that may work well for you, but I've NEVER left a beer for 4 weeks in the fermenter so I wouldn't say it's necessary. It's true that beers with lots of complex flavors may need time to meld, but that can happen in the bottle or keg just as well as in the fermenter. My oatmeal stout is really best at 4-5 weeks after brewday, but many other beers are great sooner. It's not just the "style" that determines when a beer is ready, but I agree that complex flavors (oak, roast, etc) may need more time before peaking. I just don't think that happens necessarily in the fermenter.
Well, I have a beer that was brewed on 10/27 and it JUST finished fermenting in the past few days. Temperature is finally at ambient and it's not venting any more CO2. Granted, this is a 15%+ English barleywine using WLP099 fermenting in the 58-62F range.

I've had other moderate (for me, that's 7-9% ABV) brews take 2-4 weeks before fermentation was actually complete. I've also had lower ABV/OG (in the 5.5-6.5 range) finish fermenting in under a week. Of course, I'm pitching starter slurry's, using nutrients, oxygenating with pure O2, etc...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4466 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerKillLogic View Post
I have been troubleshooting the issue here and had spoke with someone who knows his brewing science, and suggested this is possibly due to pediococcus damnosus infection. Any thoughts?

Trash the batch?
Could be pedio, but that "film" that I think I see looks more like lacto. It's hard to tell from a picture, though.

Quick Reply