*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > My 9 month old blue berry dunkleweisen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
carolinaeasy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My 9 month old blue berry dunkleweisen

I opened up a bottle of my largely forgotten 9 month old blue berry dunkleweisen. I made this by adding blue berry extract to a NB dunkleweisen kit. When I first made this I only bottled a 6 pack of the stuff, just in case I didn't like the blueberry flavor. Which I actually did not like at the time. It seemed as if the malt and the blueberry didn't mix well. I put the last bottle in the back of the beer fridge and forgot about it. Well last night while looking for my last couple of Stone IPAs I stumbled across the BBdunkleweisen. I said what the hey, and popped it open. WHAT A TREAT! The malt had mellowed and the blueberry was able to shine through slightly on the aftertaste. This aged into an awesomely balanced brew. I might have to brew some more, and just throw it in the back of the fridge and see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
sea2summit3
Recipes 

How much blueberry did you add? I'm making a blackberry stout and can't decide how much extract to add to the 5 gal batch.

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad that your brew turned out quite tasty. That is definately something I realized about my blue berry brew, time is the key to this type of beer. I used about 3oz. of blue berry extract and also used 2 whole cans of blue berry puree. I was going for a highly fruity, dark purple beer. I would personally recommend starting off with about 2oz of the extract, taste, and add more if needed. Because I used so much puree, my batch reminded me of a mix between beer and wine. Now, about 6 months later, the batch is absolutely wonderful!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What did you start with for a brew rsmith? Was the puree 19oz cans?

Sounds interesting, and I pick a lot of wild blueberries, I think I'll add some to a brew next summer.

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Quick Reply