New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > My 2nd Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
chemist308
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My 2nd Batch

YES! I'm still conditioning the oatmeal stout, but my second batch (an extract IPA from Muntons) tastes GOOD!

Albiet I did boil it, and it was a no boil kit. So it's a little less hopped than an IPA should be. But on the average, it's still a good beer. It was way too easy. Who knew?!

Now I really can't wait to put in batch 3. That's going to be a dry irish stout with some speciatly grain steeped in. In addition to the grains normally to be steeped, about 1/3 lb of chocolate malt is also going in. Will that make it a chocolate stout?

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

No, it won't make it a chocolate stout, but it might make it a more chocolaty stout. If you keep the IBUs down on such a beer, it should turn out more like dark chocolate and less like coffee.

To really call something a "chocolate stout," you should add chocolate, cocoa, or cacao nibs. However, I've never found a chocolate stout that I enjoy as much as a stout that is brewed without all that junk but still tastes strongly of dark chocolate. The actual chocolate just gives some weird, unnatural flavor.

That's all a matter of personal taste, though, as many people I know enjoy the chocolate stouts (SWMBO included). Hey, they make 'em. Somebody's gotta drink 'em.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I agree with TexLaw. Adding chocolate grain will not make a beer a 'chocolate stout'. I have added about 1# of chocolate malt to a porter and it turned out great. I wouldn't go much more than that though. In order to make a true chocolate stout, as TexLaw points out, you need to add some cocoa or some other form of chocolate.

Quick Reply