Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Murky Soupy Sweet & Sour Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
Ellie-ut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Opened a new bottle of wine and got that wiff of bananas. It went away after two days of sitting. Had a porter that smelled like cider vinegar, so strong it made my eyes water. After three weeks in cold storage(50*f) it went away. You need to just let it sit for awhile, like coupe said. Check it in a few weeks and see what is going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
emerty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie-ut
Opened a new bottle of wine and got that wiff of bananas. It went away after two days of sitting. Had a porter that smelled like cider vinegar, so strong it made my eyes water. After three weeks in cold storage(50*f) it went away. You need to just let it sit for awhile, like coupe said. Check it in a few weeks and see what is going on.
Hi,

tried it again today and it is definitely starting to clear and the taste is improving as well!!!

nice one! thanks for the help!!

Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #23
Ellie-ut
Recipes 

Glad to hear it! I know sometimes patience is the hardest thing when making beer. It is something I am learning too!

I make note of those off flavors and smells in my recipe "book" and the approx dates it was noticed, so if I make it again or use that same yeast i will remember and not panic all over again.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #24
emerty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie-ut
Glad to hear it! I know sometimes patience is the hardest thing when making beer. It is something I am learning too!

I make note of those off flavors and smells in my recipe "book" and the approx dates it was noticed, so if I make it again or use that same yeast i will remember and not panic all over again.

yep, as the brew in question was my first that was not from a kit and had fresh hops in it, I was just not aware of what the right and wrong smells and tastes should be.

It all comes with experience I suppose and at least you get to drink beer whilst finding out!!

Quick Reply