Muntons Irish-stout extract + 500g dark spray malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petacheese

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the forums and this is my second time i brew home-beer.

I'm going to ferment Muntons Irish-stout extract + Muntons dark spray malt (500g - 1.1lb)
How much sugar should i add? Instructions calls for 1 kg of cane sugar, but i have the impression that since i add spray malt, this quantity has to be reduced.

The preferred taste is something like Guinness - Not too sweet with creamy texture.

I'll appreciate any tip you have :)

Thanks

If you added 500g of spray malt you could add 500g of sugar to keep the gravity/alcohol more or less the same. You could also add the full kilo of sugar or no sugar at all...but adding 500g of sugar seems more in the spirit of the original kit.

I think its one or the other. I wouldn't add the spraymalt AND the sugar

If I'm wrong someone correct me

I think most people would use one or the other, but he doesn't have as much DME as he'd like. Using 1 kg of DME and no sugar would be good.

3 lbs of DME equals about 1.4kg. And since I added that to a can of Cooper's OS Lager LME (1.7kg),I figured that'd be plenty of fermentable sugars for a pale ale. The OG was 1.044,so we'll see what the ABV turns out to be. I thought I'd try it this way to see how much ABV I get before adding dextrose. Even then,I wouldn't go past 300g.

You could always go a little easy on the top off water and leave the sugar out. You will get a more full bodied beer and it wont dry out so much.

Eventually i added 1/2 Kg of plain table sugar.
Where can i find comparison of different sugars and their affect on the taste and texture?

Here are the readings i got:
OG - 1.033
Temp. 29C
Hydrometer is calibrated to 20C

What should be the FG?
I want to read about sugars so i have better understanding of their potential to be used in fermentation process.

Cheers :mug:

Ok, i bottled this beer three days ago.
OG was 1.033
FG: 10.12
Fermentation temprature: 60F (16C)

I used 0.5kg of spray malt + 0.5 table sugar.

it was 3 weeks in fermentation.

My question is: Why is the FG so high?
Unfortunately i will get only 2.5 - 3% alcohol in this batch. :(

My 1st 2 batches both FG'd at 1.012,the 1st's OG was 1.048. The 2nd's OG was 1.044. So my Summer Pale ale (2nd)will be 4.8%ABV. Could be you just didn't get the malts & top off water mixed real well.

It's funny you mention about the mixing... Back then i didn't have a good beer paddle.
I put the hydrometer inside the fermentation container, so it might be that all the sugars sank right to the bottom.

Gotta learn from my mistakes! :)

Yesterday i opened the first bottle and there is almost no gas in the beer!
I added 180g dextrose (about 6 oz) in bottling.
what could be the reason?

How long was it bottled? It takes a couple of weeks to carb/condition on average. And 5 days chillin in the fridge made it real clear,& carbonation to the last gulp in my dollar store pilsner glass.

Decided to take the scientific approach to this:
I made 5 groups of testing for the bottles:
1. in room temp. (18C)
2. in room temp + shake once a day
3. in 21-24C
4. in 21-24C + shake once a day
5. 35C bath once a day

I'm gonna do this little experiment for one week and then check which one made the biggest difference.

Yesterday i opened another bottle and it was slightly more carbonated than the first.

It is often said that stouts take longer to age & carb up,being a higher gravity beer. Just sounds like it needs a lot more time than a reg gravity brew.

Thing is the beer didn't have high gravity.
it has only about 3% of alcohol, and FG of 1.012.
It might be only the temp. soon we'll know :)

Latest posts

Back