Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Muntons Export Pilsener kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Muss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Muntons Export Pilsener kit

Hi All

The AG Duvel clone in the fermenter is ready to go to secondary and I'm going to dump new wort from a beer kit on the Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale yeast cake to get better value out of it ($30 for the smack pack!). The yeast cake contains remenants of saaz and styrian goldings hops.
The kit I have is a Muntons Export Pilsener and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to ferment it with the belgian style ale yeast or will the 2 styles not taste well together.
If it's ok to use the belgian yeast should I simply dump the wort on the yeast cake or should I remove the old hops first?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Belgian yeast and pilsner beers don't go together at all, really.

Belgian ALE yeast tends to be fruity and impart strong flavors.

Pilsner LAGER yeast is a completely different kind of yeast that is very clean fermenting and requires low fermentation temperatures to work properly.

I think the Munton's kit comes with a style-incorrect clean ale yeast that will come close to mimicking a lager without requiring the low fermentation temperatures. If I were you, I'd just follow the directions on the kit.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 AM   #3
Muss
Recipes 

Thanks Yuri, I'll see what else I can put on that yeast cake.

The ingedients for that Duvel clone were right on the mark except for the yeast as it called for Wyeast belgian strong ale and I only had Abbey ale, so I just thought Belgians is Belgians and made it I hope it tastes alright.

Quick Reply