It was a partial boil, about 2.5 gals. I did take the measurement after topping off, mixing, and at 70*F. Couple of other things... I had a pretty significant cold break and had lots of sediment in the wort at the time of the original measurement. I took one about ten minutes later and it read 1.070. Then another one about fifteen to twenty minutes after that and came up with 1.050. The recipe expects 1.048, so I'm very close now. I bet if I took another reading fifteen minutes after that last one I would be even closer. The last reading did not have any sediment from the cold break in it, so I'm guessing that affected the reading.