Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Mt. Pleasant Gruit Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mt. Pleasant Gruit Help

Okay, so I love Gruit, but I have not seen very many recipes online for it, and I have a very limited scope of Gruit to base off of.

Mt. Pleasant Sacred Gruit is one that I know and love and here is what the website says about it"

Sacred Gruit Ale
Pale Ale brewed with Yarrow, Myrtle and Rosemary

ALC 5.8% by Vol

MY intuition tells me that I could simply brew a pale ale of my choice and add these ingredients.

Any ideas on if this would be a correct assumption, and what the timing of these additions would be?

Planning - Dark-fruit Rye Wine, Cherry Brown Ale, Session Citrus IPA, SweetStone Pale Ale [MagicHat #9 clone]
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled - Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)
Deceased - Halzelnut Honey Brown, Orange Honey Heffe, Caramel Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Thats not a bad idea. One of the perks of home brewing is the experimenting. If the recipe doesn't work you can try again. I recently did a gruit stout and it came out fairly good. I used the grain bill from a book and the gruit bill from a website I'm sure you have found in your research.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
Thats not a bad idea. One of the perks of home brewing is the experimenting. If the recipe doesn't work you can try again. I recently did a gruit stout and it came out fairly good. I used the grain bill from a book and the gruit bill from a website I'm sure you have found in your research.
I assume that you did a no hop version of the stout and let the herbs take care of that portion, correct?
Planning - Dark-fruit Rye Wine, Cherry Brown Ale, Session Citrus IPA, SweetStone Pale Ale [MagicHat #9 clone]
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled - Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)
Deceased - Halzelnut Honey Brown, Orange Honey Heffe, Caramel Cream Ale

Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laiced View Post
I assume that you did a no hop version of the stout and let the herbs take care of that portion, correct?
that is correct. You can definitely tell there isn't any hops in there but I like it. The bitterness from the mugwort came out just right IMO.

Quick Reply