Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Morebeer.com Blonde Ale Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
dhammers91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Morebeer.com Blonde Ale Kit

I brewed a blonde ale kit last weekend. It fermented quickly this past week and I transferred it to secondary yesterday on some knox gelatin for a quick clearing. I have two issues.. i think...

1. I just drank my first blond (store bought) tonight and realized that my blonde smelled similar... sort of... it has a very potent smell, and if I didn't know what a blonde was supposed to smell like I would say that it smelled like turkey guts... yuck... i know...

2. My second issue is that it has been on the gelatin and in the fridge for 24 hours, and I don't see any difference. I have read that it should only take 48 hours for the beer to clear when mixed with gelatin.

Anybody have any solutions to my problems or any other prior experiences to share? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammers91 View Post
2. My second issue is that it has been on the gelatin and in the fridge for 24 hours, and I don't see any difference. I have read that it should only take 48 hours for the beer to clear when mixed with gelatin.
Look at the very bottom

Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
dhammers91
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20

Look at the very bottom
What do you mean look at the bottom? I have it in a bucket so I can't see the bottom, but r u saying it should be clear on the bottom?

Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

I think you got overanxious and tried to clear the beer when the yeast wasn't done yet. Take it back out of the refrigerator and give it another week or a bit more so the yeast can finish their job and it will probably clear right up. The objectionable odor will likely be gone then too.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 2

And remember that turkey guts make wonderful gravy.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
dhammers91
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
I think you got overanxious and tried to clear the beer when the yeast wasn't done yet. Take it back out of the refrigerator and give it another week or a bit more so the yeast can finish their job and it will probably clear right up. The objectionable odor will likely be gone then too.
Alright, thanks for the suggestion... I just thought it was good to go bc the original gravity was 1.050 and when checking for the final gravity, I got a reading of 1.012 3 days in a row, that's why I racked to secondary on the gelatin...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeast go through 3 phases. I think yours was still in phase 3. Here's a little something to read about your yeast. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
dhammers91
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
Yeast go through 3 phases. I think yours was still in phase 3. Here's a little something to read about your yeast. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html
So do you think that it will still condition ok in the bottle? I bottled it today...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I hope your beer was done because if the yeast were still busy fermenting you could end up with beer that is overcarbonated or worse yet, bottle bombs. Put those bottles into something that can contain any flying glass if that should happen. Even a cardboard box with a lid would work.

Yes your beer will continue to condition in the bottles. Being bottled so early it will take longer to get to maturity. I'd expect a month or more to reach the good stage. For your next beer, leave it in the primary fermenter longer. Mine go 2 to 3 weeks in the primary and then to bottles with no secondary.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
BlauMaus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm gonna share my experience here, since I brewed this exact kit recently. Now, I was looking to brew a blonde because I've always enjoyed drinking Leffe Blonde. I didn't anticipate this Blonde to clone Leffe's, because there are quite a few nuances in that beer, but I thought perhaps it would be nice anyway. I've drank nearly all of it now, had quite a bit of time to think about it, and I'm not in love with the results. I did modify the recipe and put in 2 lbs extra malt extract, to increase the gravity. It ended up right where I wanted it. The carbonation is smooth, and the flavor is slightly sweet, kind of fruity. I think that the yeast worked very quickly, for some reason, which can give that effect. There is something a bit off with the flavor. I can't put my finger on it and I have a hunch it has to do with my process. Curious to see your thoughts on yours.

I'm a little confused with your process. I usually always do a week in primary, a week in secondary, bottle, and wait at least two weeks to drink (longer is better for flavor). Leaving in the primary the whole time is fine, I only transfer for clarity. Did you put your beer in the refrigerator after one week?

Quick Reply