Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > More dry after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
BWRIGHT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default More dry after bottling

I brewed an English brown ale that has been bottled for about six weeks now. It was ok after 2 weeks in the bottle. It improved slightly after a couple more weeks in the bottle. Now after 6 to 7 weeks in the bottle it seems to have dryed out quite a bit. It's not nearly as malty as it was which I think is not an improvement. What gives? The recipe had LME and DME. Nottingham yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

Is there any chance you're serving it too cold?

Also check the recent Nottingham thread and see if any of the discussion there rings a bell for what you're experiencing.

Does it seem more carbed than you were expecting? If so, maybe fermentation wasn't all the way done and the Nottingham chewed up another point or three of gravity in addition to the priming sugar.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I suppose it may be a little cold, but does that make it seem more dry? I doubt it wasn't done frementing. I let it sit in primary for ten days then had it in secondary for two weeks.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Did you add honey to it by any chance?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nottingham can dry out beers due to its tenacity. As revvy mentioned, and I have experienced, a honey+ nottingham beer can = super-dry beer after awhile. This would also occur if any simple sugar was added to the boil.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No honey added. No simple sugar added. I primed with 5oz. of dextrose into a bottling bucket. It's like a wave of doneness. (?) When I first tried it, it was a little green and need time. A few weeks later, I thought it had improved greatly. A few weeks after that and it was perfect. Now, it's definitely dried out. It's almost like Old Speckled Hen. Like I used a wine yeast or something. Only fermentables in the brew were LME and DME.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Hmmm....And no other adjuncts beside the the extract and priming sugar?

And are you 100% sure it was done fermenting before you racked to secondary or bottled it?

Just out of curiosity, post your recipe....I think it has to be about the amount of fermentables (including priming sugar) vs the "hungriness" of the nottingham. The yeast was still hungry at bottling time and obviously devoured every bit of priming sugar available, over the weeks it was in the bottle....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

I just found this thread about nottingham....Just reading it lends me to believe that it is one mutha of sugar eater!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51135

That's probably why it ended up soooo dry.

Take a read and see what you think...even ask people on there about dryness....

Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what temp were the bottles stored at? maybe a higher temp kept the yeast overly active in the bottles?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
BWRIGHT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

68-70. The gravity was spot on what the expected gravity was supposed to be. I can't say for sure it was done because I only took one FG reading. I assumed it was done because it had been more than 3 weeks from brew day and 2 weeks with no airlock activity. The FG was right where I expected it to be.

Quick Reply